Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: after changing root password...

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    24
    Sorry Harry I am a bit useless!

    It's a Thompson Speedtouch and I can now see there are numerous postings about it in various other Forums.

    As I see it, one can either install Knoppix to the HD and then run the various scripts to 'enable' the modem, or one can re-master the Knoppix cd (my preferred option) and then Internet will be available when one boots Knoppix from the cd.

    I will look at how to do the second option - I am assuming that one must somehow include the extra scripts into the iso image of the cd - but I haven't read it all up yet so I'll have a good look first.

    Thanks again

  2. #12
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatcharlie
    As I see it, one can either install Knoppix to the HD and then run the various scripts to 'enable' the modem, or one can re-master the Knoppix cd (my preferred option) and then Internet will be available when one boots Knoppix from the cd.

    I will look at how to do the second option -
    I still don't know exactly what model of modem that you have or why you might think that you need to remaster. If it's USB only then you might have problems (I would strongly suggest insisting that the ISP supply a safe and workable modem instaed). If it's ethernet then you don't need to do either of the things that you listed. I have a Speedtouch Home and I use it with Knoppix all the time - but I have that very important router (my Speedtouch Home does not have a router built in).

    As for installing Knoppix to hard disk; that is the surest way I know to have networking problems. I don't believe in it. There are distros intended for install to hard disk, such as Debian, the distro that Knoppix is based on.

    And I've been assuming that you know for a fact that you are not on the Internet already (which seems likely, but I would hate to go several more days and then have you post "oh, I was connected to the Internet fine all along"). When you click on a link in Konquror it does fail, right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Root Password (what is it?)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
  2. Root Password ( what is it? )
    By Cuddles in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM
  3. root password
    By abeza in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM
  4. root password
    By stol in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 03:14 PM
  5. Changing admin(root) password revisited
    By mediaparty in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 11:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99