Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to get my IP address from knoppix

  1. #1

    How to get my IP address from knoppix

    Hi all,

    please can I know which command to type at the Shell Konsole to know my IP address? thanks.

    Also what command do I type to change my Domain name?

    thanks
    Jen

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    18

    IP Addy, From Console

    ifconfig

    This will show you stats for all your config'd net adaptors (including IP addy)... if you want to see just a specific one type

    ifconfig (interface)

    example:
    # ifconfig eth0
    eth0 Link encap 10Mbps Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:C0:90:B3:42
    inet addr 172.16.1.2 Bcast 172.16.1.255 Mask 255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MTU 1500 Metric 0
    RX packets 3136 errors 217 dropped 7 overrun 26
    TX packets 1752 errors 25 dropped 0 overrun 0

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: How to get my IP address from knoppix

    Hello and welcome to Knoppix.net.

    We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go. Also, I noticed that you joined recently and so was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

    1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?
    2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?
    3. - What versions of Knoppix have you tried?
    4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?
    5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?
    6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?
    7. - Have you used linux before? If so, how long?
    8. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?
    9. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferosterlau
    please can I know which command to type at the Shell Konsole to know my IP address? thanks.
    As Blackbomb already mentioned, ifconfig is the command. IIRC, there is also a commnd ipaddress (or similar) that will also diplay the IP address. BTW, did you know that a single interface can have more than one IP address?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferosterlau
    Also what command do I type to change my Domain name?
    Your domain name is stored in a few places and usually assigned via DHCP if you run Knoppix from the LiveCD. Two places to look are here:
    Code:
    hostname -d
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Domain name can mean many different things under Linux, so those two commands are just a start. For more information, 'man hostname'. It's not the best-written documentation, but it's a start.

    If you have more questions, please do post back.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  4. #4
    Hello Robert and Blackbomb,
    Thank a lot for replying.

    1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?
    I heard about it from a friend studying in the same university as me.

    2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?
    I typed knoppix network in google and found it.

    3. - What versions of Knoppix have you tried?
    ver 3.9

    4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?
    NEC Versa E680 PIV 1.5GHz 512MB

    5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?
    Windows XP, I performed a Knoppix HD install on VMWare

    6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?
    It's been 8years long, Im doing my Bsc in Computer Science right now. Im very familiar with Windows but when it comes to Linux, I'm not very brilliant.

    7. - Have you used linux before? If so, how long?
    Never ever before.

    8. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?
    I am trying to use Knoppix to host an Asterisk PBX because for my final year project I have to build a softphone that uses IAX protocol.

    9. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?
    No, I am not familiar with wiki. I just know its definition that's all

    Hey I have a question,
    50% of the time when I start my machine, I get the msg "another pump is running". I have to power off my machine and restart to be able to get access to Internet. Do you know why I am getting this? thanks a lot.
    Jen

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferosterlau
    9. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?
    No, I am not familiar with wiki. I just know its definition that's all
    Thanks for your replies. I highly recommend not only browsing through the documentation, which is a wiki, but also putting your notes on the knoppix wiki. You can do that by creating a new account on the wiki and then add your content there. Here's my page and here's a list of other people's pages.

    Your PBX project sounds interesting. I'm sure many others would like to see your notes on how you do it. They may even be able help you get it working. A quick Google shows that others have tried Asterick under Knoppix. Dunno how successful they were.

    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferosterlau
    Hey I have a question,
    50% of the time when I start my machine, I get the msg "another pump is running". I have to power off my machine and restart to be able to get access to Internet. Do you know why I am getting this? thanks a lot.
    Dunno. When you say "start my machine" do you mean your virtual machine within VMWare or the physical machine?

    A possible solution might be to open a root terminal, type "pump -k", and then "pump -i eth0".

    Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  6. #6
    Hello Rob,

    Yes I meant Virtual machine. I will try it now and give feedback. thank you again very much for helping me out!
    Jen

  7. #7
    Hi Rob,

    I typed ifconfig and obtained the following:

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:8F:1D:F6
    inet addr:192.168.1.244 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:3373 (3.2 KiB) TX bytes:2826 (2.7 KiB)
    Interrupt:18 Base address:0x1080


    Using Samba I can access every shared folder in WiNXP SP2. However when I type "\\192.168.1.244" in WINXP SP2 I am told that the "network path cannot be found"! Is there a way to access my Knoppix VM from Windows? I am asking that question because I have to provide my Asterisk IP Address to a softphone I installed in WinXP. I tried 192.168.1.244 but it says connection failed. thanks a lot
    Jen

Similar Threads

  1. How to Set the Hostname to KNOPPIX-MAC Address (SOLVED)
    By bcpembo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 08:46 AM
  2. How to change ip address in knoppix
    By venky_gec in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2006, 05:10 AM
  3. How to create a secondary IP address on KNOPPIX ?
    By markraem in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 11:40 PM
  4. MAC address in Knoppix
    By Flower in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99