Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Anyone Familiar w/ Helix Distro

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    Anyone Familiar w/ Helix Distro

    I recently downloaded the Helix Forensic Distro (http://www.e-fense.com/helix/) but am having trouble making it a bootable from the ISO. How do I make it a bootable image? The download is compressed in Winrar. How do I make it bootable?
    Sorry I am new to *nix. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    -J

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Anyone Familiar w/ Helix Distro

    Quote Originally Posted by jlb2df
    The download is compressed in Winrar.
    The download is not compressed in winrar.

    First, you need to turn off that damn "feature" in Windows that hides the extension for file types that it thinks it knows. I can't tell you the exact steps to do that since you didn't post what version of Windows you are using, but it should be an easy setting to find. It's completely useless and never does any good, only this type of harm.

    Second, read the downloading faq, reached by following the documentation link near the top of this page. Just about everything in it will apply to helix too, except maybe the advice to use BitTorrent (I don't know of a Helix torrent but you seem to already have the ISO, you just need burning and maybe booting information).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    More help needed!?

    Ok, thanks for the info, but I am still a bit confused. I have the "hide extensions" feature off. The file I have is Helix_V1.6-07-28-2005.iso. It is a Win RaR archive in my system and I can click on it and see the contents of the iso, (i.e. folders, helix.exe, etc). I want to make it a bootable Windows live CD. I use Win XP Pro SP2 and CDBurnerXP Pro as my burning suite. Any further help? Thanks again.
    -J

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: More help needed!?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlb2df
    .... It is a Win RaR archive in my system and I can click on it and see the contents of the iso...
    I'm glad you have the feature turned off, most confusion is caused by people thinking they have a rar file because of hidden extensions. The ISO is not a rar archive; you are simply seeing that winrar understands how to look inside a rar file structure and has assigned to itself the rar extension (sometimes considered to have hijacked the extension). Forget about winrar and focus on burning the ISO as an image. I've never used CDBurnerXP Pro myself. A quick web search and look at their faq did not turn up mention of it burning ISO files. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. If you can't find mention in the documentation about it being able to burn ISO file or disk image files, then I still suggest looking at the downloading faq, which should give you several options of software known to work, some available at no charge.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    I still suggest looking at the downloading faq
    Which downloading faq? The Helix one? <http://www.e-fense.com/helix/faq.php> This one does not say much at all. Anyway, will continue to work on it. thanks for the help?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    here you have a link to SEVERAL knoppix related FAQ's
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Category:FAQ_Page
    i think this is the one refered to
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

    probably this part of that FAQ
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...o_be_burned.3F

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    iso burning from xp

    When I tried to burn cd's from xp using the utilities that came with the system, what I got was cd's that were only readable from xp. So I bought an xp compatible version of Nero and installed same. It will burn anything including iso's and the files can be accessed by non xp machines.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    turbine:

    I'm glad that you resolved your problem and getting a copy of Nero is certainly one way to solve it, but the Knoppix downloading faq should include several "fixes" that do not require spending money (including the free 30 day trial of Nero and some other software). We still don't know if jlb2df resolved the problem or just gave up.

Similar Threads

  1. How to uninstall Helix(Knoppix)?
    By okneil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 05:25 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 02:09 AM
  3. Helix on Slashdot
    By Harry Kuhman in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 04:52 AM
  4. [DISTRO] New distro Knoppix-Gentoo based (Gulp!)
    By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
  5. anyone familiar with MAC?
    By fourtrackmind in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010 picture

Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010

$64.95



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard- M0115 - no cord picture

Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard- M0115 - no cord

$49.99



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X picture

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X

$180.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple AppleDesign Powered Speakers M6082 Single Beige 1993 Mac Audio picture

Vintage Apple AppleDesign Powered Speakers M6082 Single Beige 1993 Mac Audio

$24.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More

$300.00



Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested picture

Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested

$210.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99