-
-
Senior Member
registered user
What does ifconfig tell you?
Oh and I have never heard of 'netconfig' but I have heard of netcardconfig
I am fairly certain that I have heard of someone using Shaw cable before so that shouldn't be an issue.
-
Junior Member
registered user
getting Knoppix to run ethernet
Hi all-
Brand new member & user of Linux.
Just wanted to say that although during the boot up, my ethernet appeared to be OK, I did not have internet at desktop.
I went to "Knoppix" in the programs list & followed out the menu there. I'm in Windows right now but I believe it was under internet or net. I basically followed directions to get it going- didn't type any commands...
Hope this is helpful?
T
-
Senior Member
registered user
surely your cablemodem has an intgrated dhcp. (meaning it distributes ip adresses to client pc's). But...
With most of cablemodem companies you MUST use their proxy server.
So you may have to alter the proxy settings in Konqueror or netscape (mozilla) to get your webpages. (especially if you're working trough a router).
You can do this in 2 ways :
-directly enter the proxy settings in your application (konq. / mozilla)
in this case you'd better enter also in the exeption list the last part of the adress as an exeption)
-or use a pac file location
greetzzzzz...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ktheking
surely your cablemodem has an intgrated dhcp. (meaning it distributes ip adresses to client pc's).
Really?? Never seen a cable modem that could do that. But I have a router than does.
-
Senior Member
registered user
most of the do ,but the intgrated soft only distributes one ip.
-
Senior Member
registered user
So you're saying that with a firmware flash a cable modem should be capable of NAT?
-
Senior Member
registered user
it is performing as transparant nat (meaning also PAT)
-
Senior Member
registered user
never wondered why you didn't have to 'dialup' with a cablemodem ?
-
my .02
Really should have legacy support disabled in bios it maybe preventing dhcp from activating your nic card.I am only saying this from past experience with my nic card.
Similar Threads
-
By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:32 AM
-
By vesselinpeev in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-29-2003, 05:32 AM
-
By hpy7871 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-03-2003, 08:18 PM
-
By Pavilion in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-30-2003, 04:49 AM
-
By VeeDubb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV M1596 Vintage
$129.99

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Macintosh Classic M1420 Apple Computer 1990 Vintage, Powers On
$149.99

Vtg Apple Macintosh SE SuperDrive (FDHD) Computer Boots to Desktop Sold AS IS
$140.00

Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard +
$399.95

Apple Macintosh SE Vintage Desktop Computer Model M5010 Apple Macintosh SE
$99.99

APPLE MACINTOSH SE M5011 1986 VINTAGE DESKTOP COMPUTER POWERS ON DISPLAY WORKS
$159.99

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$224.10

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video
$225.00