Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Cable help for n00bs!

  1. #1

    Cable help for n00bs!

    I live in canada and I have the Shaw high speed cable internet....
    I use it trough enthernetcard

    I can't seems to get my internet connection to work on k3.2 live cd...
    I have read about the netconfig but nothing really worked does anyone have any sort of other way to get it working?

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    What does ifconfig tell you?

    Oh and I have never heard of 'netconfig' but I have heard of netcardconfig

    I am fairly certain that I have heard of someone using Shaw cable before so that shouldn't be an issue.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sitting at my PC
    Posts
    10

    getting Knoppix to run ethernet

    Hi all-

    Brand new member & user of Linux.

    Just wanted to say that although during the boot up, my ethernet appeared to be OK, I did not have internet at desktop.

    I went to "Knoppix" in the programs list & followed out the menu there. I'm in Windows right now but I believe it was under internet or net. I basically followed directions to get it going- didn't type any commands...

    Hope this is helpful?

    T

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    surely your cablemodem has an intgrated dhcp. (meaning it distributes ip adresses to client pc's). But...
    With most of cablemodem companies you MUST use their proxy server.
    So you may have to alter the proxy settings in Konqueror or netscape (mozilla) to get your webpages. (especially if you're working trough a router).
    You can do this in 2 ways :
    -directly enter the proxy settings in your application (konq. / mozilla)
    in this case you'd better enter also in the exeption list the last part of the adress as an exeption)
    -or use a pac file location

    greetzzzzz...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by ktheking
    surely your cablemodem has an intgrated dhcp. (meaning it distributes ip adresses to client pc's).
    Really?? Never seen a cable modem that could do that. But I have a router than does.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    most of the do ,but the intgrated soft only distributes one ip.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    So you're saying that with a firmware flash a cable modem should be capable of NAT?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    it is performing as transparant nat (meaning also PAT)

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    never wondered why you didn't have to 'dialup' with a cablemodem ?

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    41
    my .02

    Really should have legacy support disabled in bios it maybe preventing dhcp from activating your nic card.I am only saying this from past experience with my nic card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Serial cable
    By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:32 AM
  2. Apt-get stalls on cable cable connection
    By vesselinpeev in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 05:32 AM
  3. cant use cable internet
    By hpy7871 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 08:18 PM
  4. Cable help needed for n00bs!
    By Pavilion in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 04:49 AM
  5. Great boot laoder for n00bs!
    By VeeDubb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard

$169.99



**77%-89% HEALTH**HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache picture

**77%-89% HEALTH**HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

$69.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Seagate 3TB 3.5

Seagate 3TB 3.5" HDD SAS Hard Drive Seagate ST3000NM0043 IBM 39U3719 7200RPM HDD

$27.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$84.00



HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640

$54.99