Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: installing wireless card drivers

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2max
    i chose the driver for win98 off my dlink cd because that is the version of windows i have. do you mean i try a driver for different version of windows?
    I'm not positive, but I believe Ndiswrapper is written to best use the WinXP drivers & not Win98 drivers. So try the WinXP drivers.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    thanks i'll give that a try.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    18

    Yeah try a driver for Windows 2k or Xp

    Yeah try a driver for Windows 2k or Xp....

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    4

    Re: installing wireless card drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by zx2max
    i am trying to figure out how to get my internet to work. i am new to linux so please bare with me. knoppix doesnt recognize my wireless
    I'm new to linux too but tonight I had been lucky...
    with knoppix 4.0.2 (live cd) on a sony laptop without ndiswrapper

    I ran iwconfig to see that eth1 was my interface wi-fi because I've got wireless extension...
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"USR9106"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:C0:49:5D:8D:43
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:50 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
    Retryff RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=53/94 Signal level=-42 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

    sit0 no wireless extensions.

    knoppix@0[knoppix]$

    I had to set ESSID, Access Point and Key of encription with

    su root
    iwconfig eth1 essid USR9106 ap 00:C0:49:5D:8D:43 key sxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    with xxxxxxx that in ascii is your key (if enabled)

    than (with the gateway already DHCP enabled) I ran from menu Network/Internet the Network card configuration (actually I don't remember if I tried it also with knoppix 3.7 o ubuntu 5.10... so I run to try it)
    and the system got his IP 192.168.1.2 and so on...

    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ ifconfig
    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:9B:01:F8:22
    inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20e:9bff:fe01:f822/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:11898 errors:95 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:95
    TX packets:12284 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:199
    RX bytes:10432154 (9.9 MiB) TX bytes:1855399 (1.7 MiB)
    Interrupt:11 Memory:e0ea0000-e0eb0000

    ciao
    leo

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    i tried using the .inf file in the winxp drivers folder on the dlink cd but i think it is the same file no matter what version of windows. it has the same name in all folders and when i try it i get a msg that says its already installed. now when i do the dmesg i dont understand all the stuff it displays but at the end it says:

    Code: Bad EIP Value <3> ndiswrapper (wrapperinit:1645): loadndiswrapper failed (11) check system log for messages from 'loadndiswrapper'


    Ryan

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    18

    Not compatible w/ ndiswrapper

    It seems as if that driver file isn't compatible w/ ndiswrapper. You'll have to do alittle googling to find a D-link driver that is compatible w/ your chipset and ndiswrapper. It's unfortunate that ndiswrapper doesn't support more drivers.

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    i found something at http://www.linux-wlan.org/index.html but i am still trying to figure out how to install it.

  8. #18
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    one of the steps during the installation asks for an alternate target install root directory on host. What should i enter for a directory?

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    18

    is your card compatable with that software?

    Is your card compatable with that software? I'm looking @ the FAQ and it lists

    The following vendors are selling hardware using a similar design as the Intersil PRISM card. The following vendors have proven to have compatible hardware:


    Zoom Telephonics
    Intalk/Nokia
    Samsung (Korea)
    DDBTEL (Taiwan)
    GemTek (Taiwan)
    MELCO (Japan)
    Bay Networks

    If you have a card that is not supported by the Linux WLAN project, then you might want to check the Linux Wireless LAN HOWTO ( http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ ), where you can find a list of other known Linux WLAN drivers.

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2

    Installing wireless card

    Hi,
    I followed the instructions from previous posts to install my wireless card driver and I got it partly working. The driver gets installed successfully but the power led is on but the link led is dimmed. When I try to access a website with a mozilla it says its not found. I think I have the settings properly configured but I am not sure if I am missing anything. I specified the essid, key, channel, access point and mode but I still get this problem. Also, when i go to the control center and go to internet/network, wireless network, all of the options are greyed out and I can't do anything. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

    codegirl269

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Installing USB Drivers Wireless
    By kiwi in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 03:02 AM
  2. Problems installing 3Com 11g wireless Card on Medion MD9783
    By jose luis vazquez in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 02:09 AM
  3. Installing Ati drivers (please help)
    By great_lengths in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 12:50 PM
  4. Installing Intel 2200BG Wireless Card in Auditor...
    By kasman21 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 08:06 AM
  5. Installing drivers
    By Visceral in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS

$59.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage (2000) Apple Macintosh M7803 USB Pro Keyboard Black/Silver  With Wired picture

Vintage (2000) Apple Macintosh M7803 USB Pro Keyboard Black/Silver With Wired

$25.00



Vintage Dysan 100 MD2HD 5.25” Floppy Disks 10 Pack Sealed Double Sided HD | IBM picture

Vintage Dysan 100 MD2HD 5.25” Floppy Disks 10 Pack Sealed Double Sided HD | IBM

$38.00



Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts picture

Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts

$49.78



Vintage Toshiba Satellite Pro 490CDT Laptop PII 233MHz 96MB 4GB Win98 Bad Backli picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite Pro 490CDT Laptop PII 233MHz 96MB 4GB Win98 Bad Backli

$100.00



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00