Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Persistant directory on USB key

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1

    Persistant directory on USB key

    Hi all,
    I was very happy to discover knoppix these last couple of weeks. I have downloaded and tried 3.8.2, 3.7, 3.9 and 4.0.2.
    I have been a linux user for 18 months now and have managed to run successfully Mandriva, Archlinux and more distros. I am not an it pro but just an amateur with quite a bit of time to waste! And stubborn as hell when it comes to getting stuff to work as it should...

    My question is the following. I am trying to get my laptop (acer aspire 2000) to find the persistant image file located on my usb key. The key is a standard no-name 250 MB key and the script creates the ext2 partition and the .img file without a hitch. But at reboot, in spite of trying "knoppix home=/dev/sda2" (for ver 4.0.2) , or "knoppix home=scan" I never get the blue screen.

    I have tried all of the above knoppix versions thinking this may be a bug on the later versions. No avail.

    Note that when the persistant dir is created on a partition of the hard drive, everything goes as planned and works perfectly. But this sort of kills the portability objective!

    Can someone point me to a possible answer to my usb key problem?

    thanks in advance.

    Cgl

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Persistant directory on USB key

    Quote Originally Posted by cgl
    Can someone point me to a possible answer to my usb key problem?
    There's a bug in the sequence Knoppix does things. I went through this problem once before, but I can't find my own solution via the search feature of the forum. The solution went something like this:

    1) boot knoppix with boot: knoppix -b
    2) type "mkdir /mnt/uba1" or whatever mount point your USB stick is normally recognized as
    3) type "exit" to continue booting normally

    Give that a try and let us know how it goes. I'll keep looking for my original post. If someone else finds it or can explain to me how to search the forums better, please do let me know.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    1
    I have the same problem!!! Although I am new to Knoppix I have loads of experience with "Windoze". But no matter what I try I cannot get Knoppix to boot using my home dir on the usb stick. I have searched in vain for a solution. PLEASE Help someone!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 11:50 AM
  2. Where is the persistant home directory and how do I delete
    By Harry Kuhman in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 12:31 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. creating a persistant home directory
    By matt2kjones in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 07:27 PM
  5. Knoppix Distro with persistant directory on same CD?
    By dennison_b in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore Plus/4 computer for parts or restore picture

Commodore Plus/4 computer for parts or restore

$50.00



Commodore 1351 Wired Mechanical Standard Mouse 2-Button Beige/Gray Untested picture

Commodore 1351 Wired Mechanical Standard Mouse 2-Button Beige/Gray Untested

$50.00



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Vintage Commodore 128 Computer Powers On Not Tested with Power Supply picture

Vintage Commodore 128 Computer Powers On Not Tested with Power Supply

$169.99



Commodore 128D System works great Comes with Keyboard which works great picture

Commodore 128D System works great Comes with Keyboard which works great

$800.00



Commodore 64 & VIC-20 BASIC & Kernel ROM Replacement Adapter - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 & VIC-20 BASIC & Kernel ROM Replacement Adapter - USA seller

$17.99



Commodore 128 Vintage Computer Not Working No Power Damage READ picture

Commodore 128 Vintage Computer Not Working No Power Damage READ

$129.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore C128 Comp w/ Original Box TESTED & WORKING + Original & PETG Key Plung picture

Commodore C128 Comp w/ Original Box TESTED & WORKING + Original & PETG Key Plung

$297.98