Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Boot Problem: 4.0.2CD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2

    Boot Problem: 4.0.2CD

    I am very new to knoppix and cannot get 4.0 to function.

    I load the cd, and get the "press return to boot" screen. I press return and it goes to town. However, when it gets to this part:
    Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done
    Looking for CD in: /dev/hda _(blinking underscore)
    it just stops working. I am working on a laptop, and i have successfully run Knoppix on two other computers(desktops), I also have been able to run Knoppix 3.7 on the laptop successfully.

    All suggestions are invited.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    I think I have discovered the solution, however, I still need aid. My HD is not HDA1, but SCD0, how do I get Knoppix to recognize the difference?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Hello and welcome to Knoppix.net.

    We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go. Also, I noticed that you joined recently and so was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

    1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?
    2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?
    3. - What versions of Knoppix have you tried?
    4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?
    5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?
    6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?
    7. - Have you used linux before? If so, how long?
    8. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?
    9. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?

    Quote Originally Posted by popper31
    I think I have discovered the solution, however, I still need aid. My HD is not HDA1, but SCD0, how do I get Knoppix to recognize the difference?
    Your HD is probably not SCD0, which is for cdroms. My suspicions are that you have a bad CD, either because the ISO was bad or the burn was bad. Did you check the MD5 sum of the ISO and did it pass? Did you burn slowly? For help with these topic see the dowloading FAQ.

    You mention that Knoppix 3.7 works. If so, please boot with it, open a root terminal, and type the following commands:
    Code:
    ( set -x
    cat /proc/partitions
    cat /etc/fstab
    ) >& post.txt
    Please post the contents of post.txt here.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1
    I am having the exact same issue with the boot stopping at /hdd and a flashing underscorere. You said you found a solution, but did not say what it was.

    Whart was it?

Similar Threads

  1. boot problem
    By sonsrey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 03:49 PM
  2. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  3. Problem: GX620 boot from CD problem
    By sid_galt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 10:02 PM
  4. USB Boot problem
    By codeforge in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:06 PM
  5. Boot problem
    By SK in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Windows Server 2025 Standard Edition - 24 Core License picture

Windows Server 2025 Standard Edition - 24 Core License

$238.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00