-
Live DVD - All network config programs ask for a root passwd
How on earth am I supposed to set up networking with the Live DVD when I cannot run any of the network configuration programs?
This happens with:
kcontrol->"Internet & Network"->"Wireless Network"->"Administrator Mode"
"System"->"Networking"
"System"->"Network Admin"
In fact, it happens with just about anything in the "System" section of the KDE program menu.
The information in file:///cdrom/KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt makes me wonder if you intend to have the Live DVD be usable by those who want to use wireless connectivity.
I managed to get a little farther by running "sudo bash" and then launching kcontrol. Still, I am unable to get my ipw2200 network running. Network configuration seems very tough with KNOPPIX. I tried accessing both a WEP and WPA2 (AES) encrypted AP, but no joy. I am used to running dhclient3 to configure my network, but haven't figured out how to accomplish this with KNOPPIX. I did manage to get the cabled ethernet card working. It's a RealTek RTL8139. You ipw2200 code seems quite old (on the Live DVD 4.0.2). Current ipw2200 is 1.0.8 (not 1.0.1). Current ieee80211 is 1.1.6 (not 1.0.3). Current wpa_supplicant is 0.4.6 (not 0.4.2). Current ipw2200 firmware is 2.4 (not 2.2). Maybe this is why I cannot get WIFI working?
Miles
Similar Threads
-
By coady in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-21-2006, 10:31 AM
-
By pureone in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-24-2006, 04:02 AM
-
By CMDR Sweeper in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-07-2006, 06:12 PM
-
By Cerebrus in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-21-2004, 01:49 PM
-
By m_yates in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge T440 Tower Server 2x Intel Gold 5118 and 128GB 2400MHZ DDR4
$1840.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$225.00

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205
$317.56

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$368.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00

USB 2.0 Network Print Server LAN Print Share Server USB Wireless Print Server
$25.19