Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Knoppix 4.0.2 LiveCD Won't Boot on Dell Dimension 3000

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix 4.0.2 LiveCD Won't Boot on Dell Dimension 3000

    Hi everyone,

    I've been trying to checkout the new Knoppix distro. I've downloaded the ISOs for both 3.9 and 4.0; but neither of them will boot. In the middle of booting; I get a long series of messages about hdc not being ready and bytes are lost. I've verified that the MD5 sum of the downloads were correct for both images, and I used the MD5 on the CD to verify the 4.0 burn. I've already change the integrated video memory buffer to 8mb in my bios, and I've used failsafe boot paramater on both machines. The exact same CDs boot just fine in a compaq computer, so I have no idea what is going on! What aggrevates me further is that Kanotix and Slax boot just fine without my intervention. Can anyone give me any kind of help?

    Thanks,
    Derek

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Knoppix 4.0.2 LiveCD Won't Boot on Dell Dimension 3000

    Hello and welcome to Knoppix.net.

    We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go. Also, I noticed that you joined recently and so was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

    1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?
    2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?
    3. - What versions of Knoppix have you tried?
    4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?
    5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?
    6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?
    7. - Have you used linux before? If so, how long?
    8. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?
    9. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chintue
    In the middle of booting; I get a long series of messages about hdc not being ready and bytes are lost.
    This sounds like a classic case of a bad burn. If the ISO's md5sum checks OK, then my guess would be the CD was burnt a bit too fast. Try burning at a slower speed, < 8x if possible.

    Also, booting is a rather long process. Can you be a bit more specific about where "in the middle" is? Specifically, if you boot with boot: knoppix debug -b 3 Knoppix will go through a series of stages, as depicted in this series of screenshots. What is the last successful stage that Knoppix enters?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    Hi! I hate to be a grump, but this is in no way a bad burn. What I didn't realize until about 2 hours ago was that DMA was turned OFF by default. I turned it on and did not get the hdc- ide: device not ready message. (Which would propogate itself for about 5 minutes before indicated kernel panic.) " knoppix dma " did it just fine. Is it just me, or do many problems get lumped into "bad burning"?

    Thank you everyone for your help.
    Derek

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Chintue
    Is it just me, or do many problems get lumped into "bad burning"?
    Many problems are diagnosed as burning problems and if fact most of those turn out to be burning problems. But to be fair to you, you problem did not sound like a burning problem to me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Chintue
    Hi! I hate to be a grump, but this is in no way a bad burn. What I didn't realize until about 2 hours ago was that DMA was turned OFF by default. I turned it on and did not get the hdc- ide: device not ready message. (Which would propogate itself for about 5 minutes before indicated kernel panic.) " knoppix dma " did it just fine. Is it just me, or do many problems get lumped into "bad burning"?
    Yup. Pretty much. Especially when there's very little other information to go on. Not that it's the right answer in every case. But rather it's the most likely source, is simple to fix, and is the easiest to rule out. If after checking the ISO and burning slowing, then it becomes more likely that the something else might be the problem. In my experience, turning DMA on has caused a problem and the solution was to turn DMA off. This is the first time that I've heard where the results were reversed.

    Admittedly, turning DMA on would have been way down on my list of things to try. What made you think of turning it on?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    What made me think of turning it on was the fact that there were hoards of fast-scrolling lines that read something like "Drive seek complete, status unknown." Eventually I would get an error about VFS and mounting a root at a specific block. (Please keep in mind that I know nothing about linux)

    I had first thought that since my ram and the CD-rom were merged by unionfs or ramdisk or something, that somehow the addressing or usage of my ram was all screwed up by the dell bios. After I was sure that I had the most recent bios, and that the burn was good, I decided that the kernel (or whatever it is) was getting an unknown status out of the device because it needed dma to get its job done. [Now, why that is, I have no idea! Kanotix does not have this problem and they look like the same thing to me.] It was a subtle hunch, but it allowed me to treat the first half of the CDROM + RAM combination. I'm not surprised that my cheap dell toaster of a computer had such a complicated problem that was caused by something so simple.

    Does the fact that my drive is a phillips DVD+- RW ring any technical bells?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    There has been mention of the fact that enabling dma causes problems... does one of those problems happen to be the detection of but failure to use sound harware? I fear that I have much more reading to do.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Chintue
    There has been mention of the fact that enabling dma causes problems... does one of those problems happen to be the detection of but failure to use sound harware? I fear that I have much more reading to do.
    As far as I can tell, DMA cheatcode only refers to the harddrives or CD-ROMs.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    If I invoke alasconf / alasmixer, I can get my sound card to work. I have no idea as to the underlying cause though, as it claims to unload and then reload sound support.

    While I have someone's attention, can anyone shed further light on the unionrw situation with 4.0.2?
    I tried to use disk space to replace or augment my available memory, but unionrw=/mnt/sda1/holdstuff didn't help my cause.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5

    Running Knoppix 4.0.2 on Dimension 3000

    Hey, it might have been a Bad burn, the program you burnt it with may have not written the ISO correctly, or the burn speed could have possibly been high. I have no trouble running 4.0.2. on my Dimension 3000, except I have to type "Knoppix DMA" every time I boot otherwise i get a "KNOPPIX Halted" Error, X11 cannot be started. However, I have a really big problem not being able to install KNOPPIX to my HD, even after the correct partitoning, due to a "Bad Superblock" error. There is only 1024 MBs used to boot, and there is no way I know of resizing the Cylinder Boundaries. So try to burn the ISO using a different program or a slower speed. Hope this Helps.

    ~Frustrated @ Superblocks~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dell Dimension 3000 LCD screen stuck at 640x480
    By cvevans in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 09:58 PM
  2. Can't boot Version 3.8.2 on a Dell Dimension 8250
    By jkellyjr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 05:47 AM
  3. Dell-PC (Dimension 8400) doesn't boot
    By hj.geiss in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 04:48 PM
  4. need help! problem installing Debian on Dell Dimension 3000
    By linweix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 02:31 AM
  5. Knoppix won't boot on Dell Dimension 4550
    By Anodos in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 02:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Lot of 24 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R DDR3 ECC MT36KSF2G72PZ-1G6E1FG Server RAM picture

Lot of 24 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R DDR3 ECC MT36KSF2G72PZ-1G6E1FG Server RAM

$299.00



Samsung 16 Gb Ddr 4-3200 Laptop Memory picture

Samsung 16 Gb Ddr 4-3200 Laptop Memory

$50.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4

$1649.99



HPE SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH ECC RDIMM Server Memory Module picture

HPE SK Hynix 32GB PC4-2400T HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH ECC RDIMM Server Memory Module

$150.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$471.39



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99