Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Loading my Hard Drive

  1. #1

    Loading my Hard Drive

    Hi I have used Knoppix before, but stopped for a while, and I am now trying it out again... anyways, i have version 4.0 downloading the newer version now, dont know if it will make a difference or not, but when Knoppix loads, its says it finds the image on /dev/hda, which I thought was my Hard Drive partition, now when I go to mount it it just loads the cdrom, and I can not find my hard drive from within Linux, please help, Thanks ~Maverick

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Loading my Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlmavericklx
    but when Knoppix loads, its says it finds the image on /dev/hda, which I thought was my Hard Drive partition, now when I go to mount it it just loads the cdrom, and I can not find my hard drive from within Linux, please help, Thanks ~Maverick
    Actually hda is the first hard disk, not a disk partition, which would be hda1.
    Are you trying to boot fron an optical disc, or are you actually trying to force it to boot from an ISO or some form of "installed" system?

  3. #3
    No Im running it straight off of the CD, and when I mount /dev/hda to my /mnt folder it just gives me what is on the DVD... And I can not find my Harddrive anywhere

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlmavericklx
    No Im running it straight off of the CD, and when I mount /dev/hda to my /mnt folder it just gives me what is on the DVD... And I can not find my Harddrive anywhere
    Mount hda??? You should never mount hda. You might wish to mount hda1 (or some other partition), but never hda.

    I thought I had made that clear.

    Do you have icons on the desktop after booting the optical disc? Ones like hda1? How many partitions are on the hard drive and what are they? You should be able to open the partitions by clicking on these icons, or make them writeable by right clicking on them and selecting the actions ... submenu.

  5. #5
    Ok here is what IM trying to do... I am trying to access files from my harddrive through Linux, the ONLY 2 icons I have on my desktop are CDROM and Floppy, I only have 1 partition on the hard drive and it is NTFS format... When it loads linux it is saying it is getting the image from /dev/hda which I thought was my hard disk, and then it says found compressed image on /cdrom/KNOPPIX, bladdy blah, but what device is my hard disk then??

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlmavericklx
    but what device is my hard disk then??
    We don't really know enough about your system to answer that. Normally the first hard drive on the first IDE interface is hda and the first primary partition on it is hda1. But you could have a hard drive on an SATA interface, a RAID controler, a SCSI interface or some other non-typical interface. And we don't know what happened that caused you to be doing this. Lots of people can boot Knoppix and see a NTFS partition, but if a trojan or something else deleted the entire partition then it's not going to show up as a desktop icon. Without more information I don't have a clue why you don't see the partition or why you are getting messages about booting from hda.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Another thought is that if the hard drive failed completely than you wouldn't see the hda1 partition. And if the optical drive was the slave drive on the same IDE controler, missing a master might be enough to cause this strange boot message.

Similar Threads

  1. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  2. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  5. loading knoppix onto a second hard drive
    By taxious in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95