Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: umount memory stick

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4

    umount memory stick

    Question from a new user. I plug in my memory stick and it recognise it with no problem. I view folder to make sure the contents is corrent. I right click device and select umount. System tells me that umount: /mnt/sda device is busy. Please check the disk is entered correctly. I unplug memory stick and try umount again but same error message persist. It can still see the folders. I then plug in another memory stick but the system still sees the initial device.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    what the system tells you is that you have something that accesses that pen (you watching the folders).
    you HAVE to unmount the disk before unpluging it. if you do NOT it may corupt the filesystem and you may loose data.
    if you _before closing konqueror (the thing you wiew your folders in)_ go to say /home you will most likely not get this error message.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    Ok, I didn't realise that. I tried the same when another folder was highlighted. There is no message this time, but I can still see the device /mnt/sda, the folder and can still read the files.

    If I umount and then right click again without left click first I can see the umount becomes mount. So, presumable it has done its job, but the fact the device is still listed and the potential of corrupting the files it does give me a lot of confidence.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you feel uncertain open a console and type mount then you see if it is listed or not,
    no need to open a window.

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a HOWTO using CD with memory stick ?
    By Prayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
  2. Mounting a USB memory stick
    By pjafrombbay in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:58 AM
  3. usb memory stick problems
    By alex stacey in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:16 PM
  4. Run Knoppix from a 256 MB memory stick ?
    By i2hhj in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. Problem using USB memory stick
    By hgpuke in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 10:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99