Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: USB flash drive not able to mount.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    30

    USB flash drive not able to mount.

    Hi,

    I am using Knoppix 4.02 live CD on IBM thinkpad T20. When I plug my USB flash memory (128MB) to my laptop, it shows up on the desktop as sda1. But when I try to mount it by right clicking on it and selecting "mount", it gives me an error message "mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified."

    How do I use this USB flash drive to create a persistent disk image? Any help?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    30
    How do I figure out what filesystem my USB flash drive is?

    I also used the following code: "dmesg | tail". I get the following output:

    SCSI device sda: 253888 512-byte hdwr sectors (130 MB)
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: Mode Sense: 02 00 00 00
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    sda: sda1
    Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    usb-storage: device scan complete
    NTFS-fs error (device sda1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Primary boot sector is invalid
    NTFS-fs error (device sda1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Mount option errors=recover not used. Aborting without trying to recover.
    NTFS-fs error (device sda1): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.
    [/list]

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda should tell the formatting. I don't know why you get ntfs errors since it should be fat formatted instead of ntfs.

    You can try manually mounting with:
    sudo su
    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    if it doesn't exist yet
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 assuming fdisk said fat32

    man mount will give some options on mounting.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    30
    Thanks. Those commands worked. My filesystem was fat16 I found.

    One problem still remains. When I try to create a persistent disk image, the choices of partitions for creating the image doesnt include the USB flash. It only asks me to choose between my two hard disk partitions. Would anyone know how to have the USB flash drive also listed as one of the choices. I can see the sda1 partition is mounted and I can read files from there. Why then am I not able to create the persistent disk image on it?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    30
    Hi,

    I am wondering if I can save a persistent disk image on one of my hard drive partitions and then save the image file to my usb flash drive to use it to boot next time. Is that ok to do this on ntfs format hard drive? I couldnt find any troubleshooting as to how to make a persistent disk image directly on the usb drive. Can anyone help?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    For booting from a disk image have a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
    Don't know much about using any persistent images on usb. Tried the Documentation/Bugs/Search?

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    30
    Thanks Markus, I looked through the forum thread you mention. Also looked through the documentation of the bugs in Knoppix 4.0.2. Nowhere do they say anything about why the USB is not showing on the list of partitions where a persistent disk image (PDI) can be created.

    Is there a way I can reformat my USB flash drive in ext3 file system? Maybe that way, it will show up on the list of partitions where Knoppix can create a PDI. Anyway, I can give it a try but I dont know how to reformat the USB flash drive in ext3. Also, I am wondering if I reformat it in ext3, will I be able to use the flash drive on systems running Win XP?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, formatting is easy, mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1 but XP won't see it afterwards. If the drive is large enough you could perhaps split it to two partitions, sda1 with fat32 and sda2 with ext3.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix will not mount my flash drive
    By jacksonon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 02:10 AM
  2. Can't Mount Flash Drive with Knoppix 5.0.1 installed
    By crazy_monkey108 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 05:56 AM
  3. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  4. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  5. Mount USB 6-in-1 Multi-Flash card reader without recompile
    By spurious in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 10:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



16GB of Samsung (8GB x 2) DDR5 M378A2K43CB1 UDIMM PC5-4800B 288-Pin Unbuffered picture

16GB of Samsung (8GB x 2) DDR5 M378A2K43CB1 UDIMM PC5-4800B 288-Pin Unbuffered

$185.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO picture

G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO

$419.95



Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz DIMM ECC 288-pin picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz DIMM ECC 288-pin

$55.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Kingston KF432S20IBK2/32 FURY Impact 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MT/s CL20 Laptop Memory picture

Kingston KF432S20IBK2/32 FURY Impact 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MT/s CL20 Laptop Memory

$150.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99