Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Crossing the Chasm from Windows to Knoppix

  1. #1

    Crossing the Chasm from Windows to Knoppix

    I have an exciting situation for crossing the chasm from Windows to
    Linux (Knoppix). In the following, when I refer to Linux, I mean Knoppix.


    Context:
    i) I am a business user with some technical background.
    ii) I use Windows XP with the following applications on my (non-Linux)
    laptop: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Internet Explorer. My
    non-Linux laptop, running Windows XP, is my primary machine.
    iii) I use my Windows latpop to connect to an Exchange server via VPN.
    iii) Due to sheer "bad luck", I am encounter "blue screens" all the
    time. The lost time is impacting my credibility and survival (since I
    use my laptop to earn a living as a consultant). I don't have the
    patience for doing an RCA (root cause analysis) of why the blue screen
    is happening because of the sheer complexity of the business model
    around non-Linux operating systems and hardware.
    iv) I have a real need to co-exist with both Windows (Plan A) and Linux
    (Plan B). (Plan A: Laptop running Windows) (Plan B: Laptop running
    Linux) (Details of why I need to co-exist are out of scope of this
    email thread)


    Here are my requirements:


    a) A pre-owned (certified, recycled, used) laptop running Linux.
    b) The Linux laptop will be used to perform all the things that I do in
    steps (ii) and (iii) described above.
    c) I am searching for a one-stop shop which will listen to my needs and
    assemble all the right lego blocks as a service offering. I can then do
    a "one click buy" to co-exist with Windows and Linux.


    I am serious about crossing the chasm to Linux.


    Thanks for any advice / pointers.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Crossover Office, Open Office

    To help ease your migration:

    As a highly enthusiastic user of Crossover Office, I heartily recommend you look into this method of running many Windows programs in Linux. I'm using 4.2. Version 5.0 is out with many improvements.

    Open Office 2.0 is out now which is a huge improvement over the last version.

    As for what kind of laptop you need, I can't help you there.

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. [b]How Do I Run Knoppix Within Windows XP???[/b]
    By d1g1tal_ph3r3t in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 03:20 AM
  2. Crossing the Chasm from Windows to Knoppix
    By ramu_kellogg98 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2005, 07:45 PM
  3. Windows and Knoppix together on same HD
    By webgal318 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 06:00 PM
  4. Can I Use Knoppix With MS Windows??
    By elbarto in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 05:32 PM
  5. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$599.00



MINIX NEO Z83-4 MAX Fanless Mini PC Win 11 Pro 4GB 128GB Home Lab Linux Server picture

MINIX NEO Z83-4 MAX Fanless Mini PC Win 11 Pro 4GB 128GB Home Lab Linux Server

$69.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00



Turbolinux Server and Workstation, Red Hat, Maximum Linux LOT 13 CDs picture

Turbolinux Server and Workstation, Red Hat, Maximum Linux LOT 13 CDs

$40.00



Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+ picture

Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+

$14.99



HP ProLiant DL360P G8 Server 2.60Ghz 16-Core 96GB 2X 300GB Enterprise (Renewed) picture

HP ProLiant DL360P G8 Server 2.60Ghz 16-Core 96GB 2X 300GB Enterprise (Renewed)

$140.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 16-Core Perpetual License | Factory Sealed picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 16-Core Perpetual License | Factory Sealed

$724.63