Quote Originally Posted by taboo
im in my house and my knoppix is at university.. how can i get connected to knoopix as a root with ssh?? ki have an user account and i can log as user, but never like a root, (had change my root password)!!! i need to enter with root privileges!!!!
thanks
taboo,

I am a little confused, are you trying to connect to your "university" computer from your "home" computer? Or are you trying to get information on your "home" computer to be used on your "university" computer? Or, are you trying to connect as root, or not, because you changed the root password? About the only thing I can understand about your posted issue, is, that you need to be root.

Your subject line states you want to connect "by ssh" as root, that is quite simple, follow the directions in man ssh -=- it expains how you can connect to a remote Linux system either by a user or by root. The problem is, you will need access to both systems to make "the connection".

If all you are trying to do is "be root", then, OErjan has you covered in his response.

If you are attempting to use ssh to remotely login in as root, to another system, and through an "open" line network - i.e. dialup - this, as OErjan has stated, is not a secure network setup. I do the root ssh thing, but, only, on a "trusted", "firewalled", "secure", "local" network. I am quite sure that, even with all of this, it is still not the best, or safest, thing to be doing. Our "network" is using hard-wired network connections, two systems with a "cross-over" cable between them, no other "local" system has "local" connections with these two systems. I have a firewall protection that locks down any outside connections, but, allows only these two systems the ability to connect with each other. And, I do, run a ssh root access between these two systems, as well as a shared printer, and shared / (root) and /home partitions. If you are trying to do the ssh thing, the man pages show you can use this "connection" as root, or any "user" that is on "both" systems. In other words, if user "cuddles" exists on both systems, user "cuddles" can be made to use ssh to remotely login to the other system. Running a "user" through ssh is a lot safer, and, if the user has the ability to "become" root, on both systems, through the use of su, they can run that on the other system, and still become root, when they need it.

One of the biggest things, about Linux, is, the use of "root" when you need it, and, not, when you dont. This "ability" can be "locked down" from users that do not need root, and allowed, for those, who do need it. It would be a lot safer to run a remote user, even through ssh, as a "user", first, and then, if need be, that user can become root at the remote system, if they need to be. I only have the root ssh running becuase I am running on a "trusted" network, and, I am sure of what systems can, and cant, connect. In an environment where you have a lot of unknowns, and possible connections, this may not be something you want to do.

Just my thoughts,
Ms. Cuddles