Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Partimage can't use LVM

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3

    Partimage can't use LVM

    I want to backup my LVM partition with knoppix cd , so after I boot the knoppix cd, I run vgscan and vgchange -ay to make my lvm partition
    available., and yes I can mount my lvm partition and see the content. But
    if I use partimage, I can't see my lvm partition at all, I can see only the normal partition. during startup of partimage I get several warnings tell me
    that /dev/lvma /dev/lvmb ... is not exists and will be created, and I confirmed that partimage should created it, but when I try to find /dev/lvma /dev/lvmb .. , they are not created, I have only /dev/lvm created by vgscan/vgchange. should I create /dev/lvm[abc..] manualy with mknod?
    and how?
    or someone know how to make lvm partition available to partimage?
    thanks,
    Simba

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Partimage can't use LVM

    --I don't think partimage is designed to work with LVM. Usually partitions are 1 unit, not several units logically bonded into 1. But did you check the man page?

    --If partimage isn't going to do the job, I suggest you try tar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simba
    I want to backup my LVM partition with knoppix cd , so after I boot the knoppix cd, I run vgscan and vgchange -ay to make my lvm partition
    available., and yes I can mount my lvm partition and see the content. But
    if I use partimage, I can't see my lvm partition at all, I can see only the normal partition. during startup of partimage I get several warnings tell me
    that /dev/lvma /dev/lvmb ... is not exists and will be created, and I confirmed that partimage should created it, but when I try to find /dev/lvma /dev/lvmb .. , they are not created, I have only /dev/lvm created by vgscan/vgchange. should I create /dev/lvm[abc..] manualy with mknod?
    and how?
    or someone know how to make lvm partition available to partimage?
    thanks,
    Simba

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3
    yes, partimage can work with LVM, I did use it with gentoo installer cd.
    It would be nice if knoppix can do also the same job (both partimage in knoppix and gentoo cd has the same version).
    Simba

Similar Threads

  1. Partimage - won't
    By MickKi in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 03:00 PM
  2. partimage
    By deejay in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 11:22 AM
  3. Partimage Not Working please help ;-)
    By JamesX110 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 06:07 PM
  4. Partimage and DVD writer, please help!
    By phsieh in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 03:03 PM
  5. Using PartImage w/ Knoppix
    By SideWynder in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 09:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00



1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails picture

1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails

$310.00