Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I'm New And Need Some Help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1

    I'm New And Need Some Help

    Well as the subject says, I'm new and need help, not with Knoppix really because I've been able to run it off the cd and I really enjoy using it, it's actually pretty easy and not that different in some ways with windows, and sometimes very different compaired to windows. What I'd like to know is if Knoppix is what Linux really is, or is Knoppix sort of like Mini-Linux? I've heard great great things about Linux and really would like to use it, if Knoppix is like a Mini-Linux is there a place I can download Linux at? I've seen so many, how do I say...suppliers, or developments, or manufactures of Linux? If that didn't make since I see things from Red Hat that is Linux and other things that is Linux, it isn't like Windows where theres only one type of it...MS Windows xx and that simple, I'm not complaining about how there are a lot of things in Linux but yeah, if possible can I dual boot Windows and Linux? That would really be awesome and I'd really want to do that (if I can get my hands on Linux in the first place). So basically what I want to know is...compaired to Linux what really is Knoppix, except a Live cd boot of Linux Kernel? (I don't even know what kernel is). Is there a way that the full Linux is downloadable? And if so can I dual boot with it??

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    I'm old and don't help those who can't use helpful subjects


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Welcome to the Knoppix.net forum!

    I hope you have looked at the link provided previously. It is important that a post be "Labelled" and "Located" correctly in order for the proper people to see your post and reply to it. A more descriptive "Subject" line would serve you much better. All of that aside, now on to your questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wil1i3
    is there a place I can download Linux at?
    Is there EVER! It really depends on what you want to do with it and if you wish to install it or run from a disk. Knoppix is a full fledged Linux by all rights. It is primarily meant to be run from the disc and not installed on a system. It is based on the Debian Distribution or "Distro" and Debian would be a good choice for a hard disk install. There are almost as many "Distros" available as there are politicians. Look at the following links for information and download options for many: http://distrowatch.com and www.linux.org The amount of information can be overwhelming, but you will learn more with time.

    I have found that the most reliable method for download is BitTorrent. It verifies the files as they are downloaded and can actually correct a corrupted iso. It sometimes takes a little configuration wit hregard to routers and firewalls, but there is a ton of documentation out there. the program I use the most is the original BitTorrent program. There are some like Azureus that are Java based. They are resource hogs. Some others contain malware, spyware, advertisements, etc. AVOID them like the plauge! Look here for the original: http://www.bittorrent.com/ Version 4.04 is what I have used in Windows with great success.

    As far as installing Linux on a Windows machine for a dual boot system, it is a common practice to do so. It usually works out well. Just do not try to write to an NTFS partition with Linux. There is a chance to corrupt the partition. That said, my personal recommendation would be to find another system with enough resources to run a full version of Linux and use it to experiment with. I would not try to experiment on my primary system, unless I was certain that all of my important data was backed up and that I had everything to restore the system to it's original configuration.

    I have several distros currently installed or available for my experiments. I have Debian, Suse, Fedora core, Mandriva, Kanotix, Ubuntu, Linspire, Knoppix (Of course!), and a few others that escape me at the moment. I have played with several of the other "Live" disc distros, but find Knoppix pretty decent, especialy the DVD version. There is more there than I can explore in a few months of poking around.

    I'm primarily just a beginner, but I have a lot of extra hardware and a little spare time on occasion. I've learned a lot about what NOT to do and a little bit about what actually works. I work mostly with Windows, but play a lot with Linux. I'm hoping that the roles might eventually reverse themselves.

    There are many good resources out there for someone that is interested in learning more about Linux. Look at the top of this page at the Documentation links and browse through that for a start.

    I hope that covers most of it for a start.

    Good Luck with your adventures!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1690.40



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



DISCOUNTED - $135 SABRENT Rocket Nano 1TB M.2 2242 NVMe PCIe SSD 3000MB/s picture

DISCOUNTED - $135 SABRENT Rocket Nano 1TB M.2 2242 NVMe PCIe SSD 3000MB/s

$105.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99