Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Deleting CMG leaves Files behind?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3

    Deleting CMG leaves Files behind?

    Hello,

    I'm talking about Klik on this week's GNU/Linux User Show. I installed Kid3 (an MP3 tagger) and it worked just fine. However, it asked me for my root password after the download and then when I was done with it and deleted the CMG, I was left with this list of files on my system:

    /mnt/app/1/usr/bin/kid3
    /mnt/app/1/usr/share/apps/kid3
    /mnt/app/1/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/de/kid3
    /mnt/app/1/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kid3
    /mnt/app/1/usr/share/doc/kid3
    /mnt/app/2/usr/bin/kid3
    /mnt/app/2/usr/share/apps/kid3
    /mnt/app/2/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/de/kid3
    /mnt/app/2/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kid3
    /mnt/app/2/usr/share/doc/kid3
    /tmp/klik/kid3
    /tmp/klik/kid3/usr/bin/kid3
    /tmp/klik/kid3/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/de/kid3
    /tmp/klik/kid3/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kid3
    /tmp/klik/kid3/usr/share/doc/kid3
    /tmp/klik/kid3/usr/share/apps/kid3


    I understand that the /tmp file are of no concern, but why does it leave so many files behind in the /mnt directory?

    I'm confused because I thought that the beauty of Klilk packages was that I didn't have to be root, and that removal was done by simply deleting the CMG file.

    Can you explain for me what's happened here?

    Thanks!

    Jon

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3
    Hello....?

    I'm going to finish recording this show shortly and if I don't have a response as to why these files are being left behind, that will affect what I have to say on the show regarding my opinion of Klik.

    Is there *any* reason why I had to become root and could not fully uninstall the Kid3 Klik application?

    Thanks!

    Jon

    http://www.thepodcastnetwork.com/linuxuser

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    9
    "it asked me for my root password after the download"
    -----
    *Which* download do you mean?

    The klik client download+install
    Code:
    wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh
    may indeed ask for the root password, on that one occasion, to be able to add the 7 mountpoints to your /etc/fstab. After that, no more a klik-induced root password is asked! However, if the application run via klik would ask for the root password in "normal" installation mode too, this also happens with klik, and is quite normal. I am not familiar with Kid3 to comment more.

    This is documented in various recent publications about klik. I suggest you to look at these resources, before talking in public about klik:

    --> http://klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/User's_FAQ
    --> http://dot.kde.org/1126867980/
    --> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/418

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    9
    why does it leave so many files behind in the /mnt directory?
    --------
    This can happen, if for one reason or another, the application is not cleanly terminated, and the .cmg file not unmounted.

    Do this to get rid of the files:

    1. find out which process keeps the mountpoint occupied:
    Code:
    lsof /mnt/app/1
    2. kill leftover process IDs found in step 1:
    Code:
    kill <pid>
    3. umount the .cmg:
    Code:
    umount /mnt/app/1
    4. remove all files left underneath, plus the mountpoint itself:
    Code:
    rm -rf /mnt/app/1
    It looks you have tried to run Kid3 twice with the same result, because /mnt/app/2 is affected in the same way.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3
    Great, thanks for the info!

Similar Threads

  1. deleting certain windows files with knoppix?
    By XtacyxXx in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2006, 03:46 AM
  2. Deleting Files/Dirs on NTFS Partition using Knoppix 3.7
    By Tiepo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 06:23 AM
  3. Deleting files to make room for new Knoppix ISO Image
    By Gnu Penguin in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 12:27 AM
  4. Deleting files on NTFS volume
    By frishert in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 11:11 AM
  5. deleting files
    By Dinant in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59