-
Deleting CMG leaves Files behind?
Hello,
I'm talking about Klik on this week's GNU/Linux User Show. I installed Kid3 (an MP3 tagger) and it worked just fine. However, it asked me for my root password after the download and then when I was done with it and deleted the CMG, I was left with this list of files on my system:
/mnt/app/1/usr/bin/kid3
/mnt/app/1/usr/share/apps/kid3
/mnt/app/1/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/de/kid3
/mnt/app/1/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kid3
/mnt/app/1/usr/share/doc/kid3
/mnt/app/2/usr/bin/kid3
/mnt/app/2/usr/share/apps/kid3
/mnt/app/2/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/de/kid3
/mnt/app/2/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kid3
/mnt/app/2/usr/share/doc/kid3
/tmp/klik/kid3
/tmp/klik/kid3/usr/bin/kid3
/tmp/klik/kid3/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/de/kid3
/tmp/klik/kid3/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kid3
/tmp/klik/kid3/usr/share/doc/kid3
/tmp/klik/kid3/usr/share/apps/kid3
I understand that the /tmp file are of no concern, but why does it leave so many files behind in the /mnt directory?
I'm confused because I thought that the beauty of Klilk packages was that I didn't have to be root, and that removal was done by simply deleting the CMG file.
Can you explain for me what's happened here?
Thanks!
Jon
-
Hello....?
I'm going to finish recording this show shortly and if I don't have a response as to why these files are being left behind, that will affect what I have to say on the show regarding my opinion of Klik.
Is there *any* reason why I had to become root and could not fully uninstall the Kid3 Klik application?
Thanks!
Jon
http://www.thepodcastnetwork.com/linuxuser
-
"it asked me for my root password after the download"
-----
*Which* download do you mean?
The klik client download+install
Code:
wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh
may indeed ask for the root password, on that one occasion, to be able to add the 7 mountpoints to your /etc/fstab. After that, no more a klik-induced root password is asked! However, if the application run via klik would ask for the root password in "normal" installation mode too, this also happens with klik, and is quite normal. I am not familiar with Kid3 to comment more.
This is documented in various recent publications about klik. I suggest you to look at these resources, before talking in public about klik:
--> http://klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/User's_FAQ
--> http://dot.kde.org/1126867980/
--> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/418
-
why does it leave so many files behind in the /mnt directory?
--------
This can happen, if for one reason or another, the application is not cleanly terminated, and the .cmg file not unmounted.
Do this to get rid of the files:
1. find out which process keeps the mountpoint occupied:
2. kill leftover process IDs found in step 1:
3. umount the .cmg:
4. remove all files left underneath, plus the mountpoint itself:
It looks you have tried to run Kid3 twice with the same result, because /mnt/app/2 is affected in the same way.
-
Great, thanks for the info!
Similar Threads
-
By XtacyxXx in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-13-2006, 03:46 AM
-
By Tiepo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 06:23 AM
-
By Gnu Penguin in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 12:27 AM
-
By frishert in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-23-2003, 11:11 AM
-
By Dinant in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER
$39.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys
$16.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99