-
Can't find Knoppix filesystem
I have the latest knoppix version 4.2 and I can't boot from the cd. When booting, the following message is displayed:
"Can't find Knoppix filesystem. Dropping you to a (very) limited shell "
I'm using an Intel P4 3 Ghz, 1 GB ram, Asus MB. I've tried deactivating the HyperTreading option, but it still doesn't work. The CD is ok, it worked an a different computer.
Please help.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Can't find Knoppix filesystem

Originally Posted by
sebiskaa
I have the latest knoppix version 4.2 and I can't boot from the cd. When booting, the following message is displayed:
"Can't find Knoppix filesystem. Dropping you to a (very) limited shell "
I'm using an Intel P4 3 Ghz, 1 GB ram, Asus MB. I've tried deactivating the HyperTreading option, but it still doesn't work. The CD is ok, it worked an a different computer.
Please help.
Do a full test of the cdrom. Eventually other intakt cdrom-drivers etc. where used on the ohter system and on the P4 you try to load defect one
"knoppix textcd"
How do you boot?
What comes ahead of the error message?
Did you try "knoppix 2" or "failsafe" at the first screen ?
If booting without CDRrom at all, i use the Windows Partition PMI.Works even if you only have NTFS partitions.
By the way, with 1 GB of ram and the cdrom-version you can load it all to the ram, too.
"knoppix toram"
Hellfred
-
I have the same problem with the DVD. I will admit I did not check the checksum. But I have the exact same error as Sebiskka.
The DVD loads part of Linux, then it tries (and sucessfully) finds the usb/firewire.
Next it looks for the DVD (which it just loaded part of Linux off of) saying
"looking for DVD in dev\hdc. "
Then it give the nastygram about "Can't find file system...."
I tried" knoppix testdvd" and" knoppix 2", with the exact same results. When I tried "failsafe", I got a more verbose start up, but it again failed in the same place.
This is on a dual opteron w/ a gig of memory. I have run 3.7 on this machine previously.
Thanks for your help...
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
junebug
I have the same problem with the DVD. I will admit I did not check the checksum. But I have the exact same error as Sebiskka.
The DVD loads part of Linux, then it tries (and sucessfully) finds the usb/firewire.
Next it looks for the DVD (which it just loaded part of Linux off of) saying
"looking for DVD in dev\hdc. "
Then it give the nastygram about "Can't find file system...."
I tried" knoppix testdvd" and" knoppix 2", with the exact same results. When I tried "failsafe", I got a more verbose start up, but it again failed in the same place.
This is on a dual opteron w/ a gig of memory. I have run 3.7 on this machine previously.
Thanks for your help...
I do not know how to specify a cdrom device via boot parameter. So you will have to try to get the iso image mounted from the
hard drive. For me the Win Partition PMI worked fine.
-
Now I am confused? Isn't this supposed to be a "live" DVD that simply boots from the DVD? It reads the initial files from the DVD, so it seems it must be some bug preventing it from reading the rest of the files after the initial Linux has loaded.
With 3.7 on the exact same system there is no problem so it seems to be a problem with this release.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
junebug
Now I am confused? Isn't this supposed to be a "live" DVD that simply boots from the DVD? It reads the initial files from the DVD, so it seems it must be some bug preventing it from reading the rest of the files after the initial Linux has loaded.
With 3.7 on the exact same system there is no problem so it seems to be a problem with this release.
If booting the dvd stops half way, this is a bug. I suggest filling a bug report and helping to get the bug fixed. Knoppix DVD is a new thing, it did not work fine for me with the parameter bootfrom, you have another problem (more severe, though). So we have to encourage the people with the skills to fix this. I am afraid I am missing both the skills and the time to learn those skills.
Hellfred
-

Originally Posted by
hellfred

Originally Posted by
junebug
Now I am confused? Isn't this supposed to be a "live" DVD that simply boots from the DVD? It reads the initial files from the DVD, so it seems it must be some bug preventing it from reading the rest of the files after the initial Linux has loaded.
With 3.7 on the exact same system there is no problem so it seems to be a problem with this release.
If booting the dvd stops half way, this is a bug. I suggest filling a bug report and helping to get the bug fixed. Knoppix DVD is a new thing, it did not work fine for me with the parameter bootfrom, you have another problem (more severe, though). So we have to encourage the people with the skills to fix this. I am afraid I am missing both the skills and the time to learn those skills.
Hellfred
Have exactly the same problem with the Live CD of V4.0.2
V3.9 is just fine on 3 systems. Any news on this?
Addendum************
Done a checksum on the CD and all positive. 6 cd/dvd readers produced the same problem
-
cannot find system files
I have the same problem with only one machine.
I have tried separate CD's (two purchased and two created from iso files) for version 3.6, 3.7, 3.9 and 4.02
All version stop with a line that states "cannont find system files" and then some sort of command line prompt.
The computer is currently running Windows ME and has a 450 MHz CPU, 512 Megs RAM. It works great with Windows, but I cannot get any version of Knoppix to work on it. The same CD's work great in 3 other machines that I have.
I can handle, DOS and Windows with above average skills, but I am quite new to Linux and trying to lean.
What command lines or typs can you offer.
-
OK, I have verified my DVD is good (sort of). I tried " testdvd" on another machine, it seemed to hang after verifing up to a file that ended html.ru or such (sorry, I lost my notepaper).
But the interesting thing is then I tried to boot, and it worked fine. This is the exact same DVD that would not boot on my dual opteron. The system it deos work on is an old T-bird chip that happens to have a DVD drive on it.
So it seems 4.02 is very sensitive to something in the system (DVD drive, CPU or MB?) and will read the DVD enough to start the load sequence, and then die.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
junebug
So it seems 4.02 is very sensitive to something ....
DVD booing can be tricky with some BIOSes. I have one system that booted Knoppix CDs fine, but once I put a DVD burner in it will not boot Knoppix DVDs or even Knoppix CDs without using Smart Boot Manager (with SBM it works fine). However, from what I've seen in these forums I have come to think that as many problems booting come from high speed or other marginal burns than from BIOS issues. Just booting on one system does not verify that a disc is good, and failing to pass the testcd/testdvd test certainly indicates that there may very well be a burning issue.
Similar Threads
-
By donkeyass in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 27
Last Post: 03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
-
By Snifro in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 19
Last Post: 02-23-2007, 12:26 AM
-
By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
-
By pskipw in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:16 AM
-
By befuddled in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-23-2003, 03:42 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel DX4 100MHz 486 Motherboard SBC CPU Board ALi Chipset Retro PC
$119.99

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage 3.5” Floppy Disk Storage Cases With Key 127 Rainbow Colored Disks
$59.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage HP DVD +r/+rw Writer DVD300i New Record At 4X
$74.99

DEC Alpha CPU 290A 21064-CA 166 21-35023-14 166Mhz rare vintage CPU GOLD
$109.95

Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264
$100.00

Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive
$114.88