I have some problems with running Knoppix on a Compaq Armada e700 400mhz 128mb laptop,
Hardware detection seems to go along fine until it's time to start X where it hangs. The X11 background shows up with an x as a cursor but there the system stops.
I have tried using Knoppix 2 which works fine. When I have a prompt I can use the command startx to get the GUI up and running which to my big surprise works! It tells me that I don't have enough RAM for KDE so it will revert back to twm instead which it does without problem.
It does not work to start with parameter knoppix desktop=twm, it stops at the same position as the defaut boot. But I can start twm by using the solution above with startx![]()
Any ideas?
I use the live CD...

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE
$59.99
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91
New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty
$895.00
New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12T 12-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch 10G SFP+ Fanless
$1195.00
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99
Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)
$999.99
Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T
$249.99
Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB
$285.00