Welcome to the Knoppix.net forum!
Is your mouse a USB or PS2? If USB, are the "legacy" usb settings enabled on the PC in the bios? What "Code" was it that you tried with no success?Originally Posted by across0the0stars
I'm new to using Knoppix and getting started I can't get the mouse to work with my disc. I've tried the code I've found that is supposed to fix this issue but it doesn't do anything and I've tried it a few times now. I see that a BIOS update is suggested if that doesn't work, but (being new to this) I don't know where exactly to get the right update to fix this problem or how to install it. I'm using an eMachines W3050 computer with Windows XP if that makes a difference some how.
Thank you!
Welcome to the Knoppix.net forum!
Is your mouse a USB or PS2? If USB, are the "legacy" usb settings enabled on the PC in the bios? What "Code" was it that you tried with no success?Originally Posted by across0the0stars
it's a PS/2 mouse,
I tried the code listed here:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hardware...sn.27t_work.21
it was the only thing i could find without knowing much about computers to dig more deeply for an answer.
thank you
Did you type it at the "Boot:_" prompt on the start up splash screen? The syntax is important also. It may very well be that you have one of those Motherboards that does not play well with PS/2 mice and Linux. I might suggest that you try another type/brand of PS/2 mouse, or try using a USB mouse and see what happens.Originally Posted by across0the0stars
You might try some of the other "Cheat Codes", such as "failsafe" or "noapm", etc. That would disable certain functions on startup that may have an effect on your concern. Some information and a list of codes can be found at the following link: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes
Support for your system can be found at the following location: http://www.emachines.com/support/pro...es&model=W3050Originally Posted by across0the0stars
They do not appear to have a Bios update listed for your system. I would try to contact them and see if they might have a solution. The contact information is provided at the above link. They can instruct you on how to update the bios if it is required. You need to be careful and follow the directions. An incorrect bios flash can render a system unbootable. It is a simple proceedure, but certain precautions should be taken. I plug the systems into an uninteruptable power supply so there will be no interruption of power. Be careful not to shut down the system before it is successful.
I am assuming that you are using the latest version of Knoppix which is 4.0.2. If you are using something quite a bit older, it might be worth trying the current version.
Let us know how you make out. Good Luck!
hm, I was advised by a friend that uses knoppix that I should just try a usb mouse,
I borrowed a mouse from a friend, it was a wireless optical microsoft mouse and it worked great. so then I was advised to just get a generic usb mouse, but now that won't work and my friend really has no more advice for me, any ideas why this would happen?
I previously recommeded that you try a USB mouse. If the MS Optical works, then that is the one to get. Wired MS mice can sometimes be found for as little as $6 US at computer shows near me. I doubt that they are all that expensive at retail either. An office supply store (Staples) had them for $18 recently in the retail package. Not every Mouse will have the same circuitry, so they may be recognized differently by the system bios or the USB controller.Originally Posted by across0the0stars
There is a wired one available here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826105168
Wireless here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826105153
I searched for a topic here regarding mouse hardware and this was the closest I could find to post my problem. Using Knoppix 4.02 live CD, it does not detect a SERIAL mouse. I know the serial mouse technology is old, and I dont even think they sell these anymore? However, I keep one around as a backup, just a plain ol 2 button serial, and it happened to be connected in my other PC. The mouse works ok in other OS's , except Slax live CD, which I think is probably using the same detection routines as Knoppix. I notified the Slax people, but it seems to be a low priority on the bug list. Perhaps there is a command to connect to a remote server and DL the detection routine for this hardware, once Knoppix Environment?
actually the mouse should work. just reconfigure the mouse settings in KDE.

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00