-
Getting Blank Screen using Persistent Homedir on Mp3 Player
(Scroll Down to See Problem)
Hello,
I finally bought some CD-Rs and burned Knoppix... I read up a bit on the forums about the NTFS partitions, and am now somewhat afraid and a little confused. My question is:
If I save something while in Knoppix, where does it go? Does it just go to the RAM, or is it written into some folder on my C: drive? I have an NTFS partition, and I've read that writing files onto an NTFS partition via Knoppix can cause serious problems, so, if I save a file, do I risk those having problems?
Thanks,
illu45
EDIT: Also, I'd like to know, does anyone have any links/book suggestions for learning linux via Knoppix?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Files get saved in the system's RAM. If the system is rebooted the files are lost. It will not write to the system's NTFS drive.
Downloadable Free Books
"Knowing Knoppix: The first guide to Knoppix for the complete beginner"
http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder....pix/index.html
"Simply Linux"
http://jetblackz.cjb.net/
From IBM - "Linux Client Migration Cookbook A Practical Planning and Implementation Guide for Migrating to Desktop Linux"
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246380.html
----- Very big, very technical, very thorough.
Paper Books:
NewsForge | Review: "Knoppix Hacks"
----- I wrote this review. The author, Kyle Rankin, also posts on this forum. Great book for experienced people or people not afraid to experiment.
"Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!, 2nd Ed."
----- Even though I am not a newbie
(I'm a Unix & Linux sysadmin), I bought the first edition. Great for newbies.
I hope this helps.
James
-
All right, thanks for the help... I've looked at the ebook, and am now trying to set up a persistent home directory, however, I'm having some trouble with it.
I run the Set Up Persisten Home Directory wizard/app, and it works fine (I am using an MP3 player's HD as portable memory, as it has a Data Drive mode). I then go to restart, and type in knoppix home=scan in the boot. It then says "Loading Knoppix..........." followed by "Loading minirt.gz............" Then it goes to a black screen and hangs there until I restart. I've also tried using the "knoppix home=mnt/sdb" to load, but I obtained the same result.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
illu45
-
Senior Member
registered user
if you want comandline basics you can go to floppix.com and check out their labs.
http://floppix.com/labs.html
-
I tried it again this morning, entering the knoppix home=scan command into the prompt, and it seemed to work, however, after restarting the computer (after making some changes to the homedir), it once again brought me to a blank screen. Fortunately, I think I now know the cause of the problem.
When the computer starts booting up, my Mp3 player (which is in the Removable Disk mode) says 'Do Not Disconnect!', which, I'm assuming means it is being used. Then, once I enter a command into the boot screen (usually knoppix home=scan), the Mp3 Player stops showing the "Do Not Disconnect" message, and just shows the default message (which is "Removable Disk Mode") .
From what I understand, during the booting process (after the prompt) it loses connection with the Mp3 player, and thus cannot find the image, therefore hanging on the blank screen.
My BIOS finds the Mp3 Player in the USB Devices, thus I think its probably a knoppix-related problem. If anyone has any ideas on how to resovle the issue, please let me know.
Thanks,
illu45
EDIT:
I tried entering knoppix 2 into the prompt, and got the same result. Also, I tried using vga = normal, and it said 'Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel" or something of the sort, and then proceeded to hang.
-
Thought I'd bump this as its been a while, and no-one has offered much in terms of a solution. Also, if a mod could move this to General Support, it'd be much appretiated.
Thanks,
illu45
Similar Threads
-
By NorthKnopUser in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-19-2008, 12:32 AM
-
By theagemaway in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-04-2006, 09:07 PM
-
By illu45 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-31-2006, 02:23 PM
-
By jannetta in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 03:50 PM
-
By nuB71705 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1694.85

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000
$599.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$441.77

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$519.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$288.98

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99