Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: KPPP Daemon dies / disconnects

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Norway House, Manitoba
    Posts
    10

    KPPP Daemon dies / disconnects

    I'm new to Knoppix and I'm unable to dial-up to the internet

    During set up, I set it at ttyS1 (COM2 - which is what it says on Windows.) But it says "Modem is Busy", then I try ttyS0 and says it works, I try to get the modem to dial out, this is what happens..
    "Modem Ready"
    .."Initializing Modem..." and it stays like that, nothing else happens

    so i have no idea what to do

    By the way, when I installed this modem on my crappy Windows 98se, I had to also install an emulator

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Norway House, Manitoba
    Posts
    10
    OK, i've managed to get the modem to work and dial-out
    but now whenever I get a connection, a minute or two later the modem disconnects, plus i'm unable to access any webpages.

    I've tried pppconfig as root to connect, and still has the same problem

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59

    KPPP Daemon dies / disconnects

    I'm also new to Knoppix and had the same problem as your first post. After reading info at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html#toc8 and downloading both the (HSF and HCF) drivers from http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php , all is working, I did need both drivers and had to install the HCF first , HSF driver first did not work.

    I did try some other methods to connect and get on net but the only one that would let firefox work was KPPP and select connect.

    It would be helpful to have more detail on your modem and what you have done.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Norway House, Manitoba
    Posts
    10
    I downloaded the HSF .DEB package from Linuxant.com went to Root,
    typed dpkg -i hsfmodem.deb (i shortened the file name to just hsfmodem)
    pressed ENTER when it asked me if i wanted to use the knoppix driver that was already compatible with my modem
    entered USA even though i'm in Canada
    typed in my email address
    used the FREE version

    then i was done installing, went to KPPP, checked the modem settings (set at /dev/modem)
    dialed-out...logged in. went to Konquerer, google.ca...........waited........the internet connection cuts off.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    Not sure how important the Region is, I changed mine for USA to Canada and it still works but sugest running hsfconfig --region typeing in Canada and see if it works. If it sill does not work it is beyond my very limmited knowlege.

    This page might give some infor to you, go to "Why... disconnected"
    http://modemfaq.home.att.net/faq_a.htm#Disconnections

Similar Threads

  1. Updating apt-get disconnects me
    By hal8000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 03:39 AM
  2. X dies on updates
    By phaedral in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 03:06 PM
  3. knoppix hdd install dies after reboot
    By flatpooks in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 11:42 AM
  5. dies at syslinux + garbage
    By ducman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 01:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Micron 64GB (32GB x2) DDR5-5600 JEDEC DIMM Workstation Memory (Innodisk branded) picture

Micron 64GB (32GB x2) DDR5-5600 JEDEC DIMM Workstation Memory (Innodisk branded)

$895.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



LOT OF 6 Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V M386A8K40BM2-CTD6Q Server RAM picture

LOT OF 6 Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V M386A8K40BM2-CTD6Q Server RAM

$1799.99



NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3 picture

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3

$550.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00