Is there anyway to install and boot to Knoppix on the HDD without partitioning, and if so, does Knoppix essentailly become fully functional Linux
Is there anyway to install and boot to Knoppix on the HDD without partitioning, and if so, does Knoppix essentailly become fully functional Linux
You may try to boot from the ISO cd image file stored in your hdd, cf:Originally Posted by kwyjibo730
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 & http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
I use it every day. You will have the same limitations as booting from the cd/dvd except that it boots way faster.
And you may consider the use of a persistent home directory to prevent loosing your data every time you boot ...
Cheers, Gilles
You could buy a small 2nd HDD off Ebay. Install Knoppix on it if you must. Better yet, Kanotix.
No partitioning issues or tricky stuff.![]()
Super safe too.
sakiZ
How could I create a persistent home directory, or would it be easier just to write to my main HDD (though I've heard this isn't recommended)?
Or better yet, buy one that actually works at a local store, get a new drive, don't pay shipping, know that you're really going to get something, and likely pay a lot less than the electronic bay of thieves will take from you. I can buy a new large (120 gig) drive for a lot less (after rebate) than I would have to pay for a dubious quality hunk of junk from e-bay.Originally Posted by sakiZ
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
The issue isn't about getting a new hdd; (I certainly wouldn't use ebay for that anyway) I could easily do that on my own. I want to know how to set up a so called "persistent home directory" or what a safe way to write to the existing hard drive is. If there is no way, please tell me and I will get a new hdd.
If you have a non ntfs partition, it is straight forward since linux has built in write capability for fat, ext, ...Originally Posted by kwyjibo730
If you only have access to ntfs partition(s), an easy and low cost solution is to use a USB dongle
since only the modified data will have to be stored, usually a small size and low cost device will be good enough.
If for some reason you want to store your data on a ntfs partition, I would recommend to only store data
within a chunk of blocs declared as part of a single file for the ntfs, or in other words,
create a (large) file under Windows and then under Linux create a ext2 file system within that file
which you will use as your persistent home directory. In this case you will never write into the ntfs.
From linux, you only modify some data being part of a list of blocs which only belong to the data area a file of the ntfs.
This is a very safe way to access a ntfs partition, since linux never nodify the directory structure of the ntfs.
Hope this helps. Best Regards,
Gilles

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE
$189.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive
$29.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99