Quote Originally Posted by zer0frost
Welll that sounds "ideal" Harry Kuhman but its not possible
It certainly is. It's exactly the way that I use Knoppix. In fact, the first thing I do after booting a new Knoppix disc is to click on one of the URL on the Knoquror toolbar or put in the slashdot URL and make sure that I'm on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by zer0frost
and im guessing you just plug it on the USB port instead of using the ethernet card
Absolutely not. I have no USB port on my modem; refuse to have one that connects by USB. That's a rediculious source of problems on so many levels. Ethernet is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by zer0frost
im olso guessing that it will ask me for the ips i gave you above
What?

Quote Originally Posted by zer0frost
I will look into the bunch of cables that i have to see if i find the conection to change it from Router->Ethernet to Router->USB port.
Don't do that. Very bad idea and completely not what I suggested.


Did you choose to ignore the part that I wrote about using a router? Many newer DSL modems have a router built in; it just has to be enabled. If your DSL modem does not have a router (my Speed Touch Home doesn't) then add a simple inexpensive home DSL/cable router (sometimes called a shoh router). I paid over $100 for one 6 years ago, but they are now often less than $10 U.S. after rebate (and many of those are wireless as well as wired). They take care of all the configuration for you by DHCP and what you what you claim is ideal but not possible becoes very real. I've seen some routers free after rebates; Some as low as $2.99 at CompUSA after rebate, and many under $10. Even without dealing with the rebate you should be able to get one at the $20 price point if you shop a little. They are well worth it. In addition to resolving this and some other networking issues, they form the basis of a local area network (you can network several computers together locally and transfer files, share prnters and do other networking stuff, as well as have all computers have access to the Internet). And they provide an extremely important hardware firewall. Without a hardware filrwall (even with software firewalls), Windows systems become infected in minutes after being attached to the Internet.