It has been specially modified for Knoppix.
I am wondering if someone can answer this simple easy question.
Is the Debian kernel that comes with Knoppix 3.9, 4.0.2 the unmodified Debian kernel? Or has it been specially modified for Knoppix?
I need to know so I know whether it's worth it trying to compile/build VMWorkstation for Knoppix/Debian.
It has been specially modified for Knoppix.
Do you think I can still build VMWorkstation? http://www.vmware.com/ (free download)
This is what I got from VMWare forums:
"Either you'll have to understand what vmware-config.pl says to you, or you have to post full output of vmware-config.pl here. vmware-config.pl may have couple of questions, and you have to answer all of them correctly. You must have installed compiler which was used to build your kernel (cat /proc/versions tells you that), you must have installed kernel headers for kernel you are running (random kernel-headers packages with version exactly matching your kernel-image), you must also have 'make', 'binutils' and other tools... "
Does anyone know about Knoppix and it's kernel and it's kernel headers, etc?
This is what i read from my knoppix 3.8.2 in :/usr/src/knoppix-kernel.README.Q: Are there any special components/patches in the kernel used on KNOPPIX?
A: No. KNOPPIX uses the current most STABLE vanilla Linux kernel from
www.kernel.org, with 2 exceptions:
- Until the XFS filesystem is officially accepted in the stable kernel
releases, the xfs patch from www.xfs.org is added
- The boot commandline is extended to support 512 chars, the patch for
this can be found in /usr/src/knoppix-kernel.patch
Check yours![]()
Knoppix 3.3 had xfs addon plus the CD contained the linux kernel headers/scripts so that was cool.
But Knoppix 3.9 CD and Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD didn't come with the linux kernel headers/scripts... which is what I wanted. At least in future could Knoppix keep them in... so one can compile/build kernel-dependent modules that interfaces with the kernel API.
that knoppix-kernel.README file is old. The knoppix kernel has been patched with UnionFS & cloop too.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$163.49
ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW
$121.45
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield
$60.00
MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard
$59.99
ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00