I have a remastered knoppix 4.0.2 CD. I installed a custom 2.6.12.5 kernel, removed some of the larger X apps, installed a few libraries I needed, and expanded the minirt a bit to handle the unionfs.ko modules (which I can't seem to make smaller than 2.4 MB.
All that works. My problem is shutting down or rebooting the machine. After switching to runlevel 6 everything proceeds fine though sending the TERM and KILL signals. Then, while the knoppix-reboot script is doing its /etc and /dev copy I get a bunch of "no space left on device" errors and everything stops at the KNOPPIX halted message. The final command apparently never gets run and the computer doesn't actually shutdown or reboot -- just sits there.
Turns out I need rebooting to work but I'm going crazy trying to figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Vintage Creative Inspire T2900 2.1 Stereo PC Speakers and subwoofer
$79.99
IBM 3270 Keyboard Beam Spring - With Manual - Vintage Rare Beamspring
$3000.00
Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard
$249.95
Dell Inspiron E1505 Vintage Laptop – Windows XP – Working
$50.00
Vintage Collector Gold Cap chip board (ME)
$300.00
Intel 1302 White ceramic vintage collectable chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$250.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Intel C1702AD White ceramic vintage collectable chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$250.00
VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00
Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ
$988.88