-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi Lews,
your code is very useful, but I am afraid you have not yet completely understood what klik tries: a cmg created on your machine should also run on your friends' computer... or on the second distro you're dualbooting...
A cmg should not be "tied" to just one specific machine.
Greeings,
probono
-
My code was just to fix the problem you mentioned earlier about detecting libraries being hard. I don't see how it would rule out copying cmgs to other computers - the library detection step would be run again, and any missing libraries would be downloaded.
-
my 2c
Hi,
I'm with probono on this one.
Allthough finding out which libraries are required is not difficult technically that is not the goal of klik. there are many package management systems that attempt to resolve library dependencies with more or less elaborate methods.
I am by no means a linux expert and have tried a dozen distros in my time and sooner or later i try to install an app and i enter libary hell. Hard disk space is cheap as chips, download bandwith is pretty cheap too. I don't understand what the big deal is in having a bunch of libraries installed multiple time. Especially i don't understand how people can complain about hard disk utilisation when most linux distro are so so bloated and install by default at least half a dozen applications to perform the same task. Surely disk space is not such a big issue!!!
Klik is basically aiming to make linux more accessible to the average user and the average user has no idea and doesn't care whether an app is 3Mb instead of 2.5Mb because of a few duplicate libraries.
I love the ease with which you can install apps on a mac and the idea of having that possibily in linux without having to worry about which libraries are installed or whether new ones are required is really refreshing.
andre
-
Re: my 2c

Originally Posted by
drepster
Hi,
I'm with probono on this one.
Allthough finding out which libraries are required is not difficult technically that is not the goal of klik. there are many package management systems that attempt to resolve library dependencies with more or less elaborate methods.
I am by no means a linux expert and have tried a dozen distros in my time and sooner or later i try to install an app and i enter libary hell. Hard disk space is cheap as chips, download bandwith is pretty cheap too. I don't understand what the big deal is in having a bunch of libraries installed multiple time. Especially i don't understand how people can complain about hard disk utilisation when most linux distro are so so bloated and install by default at least half a dozen applications to perform the same task. Surely disk space is not such a big issue!!!
Klik is basically aiming to make linux more accessible to the average user and the average user has no idea and doesn't care whether an app is 3Mb instead of 2.5Mb because of a few duplicate libraries.
I love the ease with which you can install apps on a mac and the idea of having that possibily in linux without having to worry about which libraries are installed or whether new ones are required is really refreshing.
andre
I totally agree with the whole HD space issue. I just want apps ' to work/install easy' and if that means parting with a few extra libs ( never used a mac so I have no idea how it does it ) then I'd like to borrow some soundbytes in the form of 'Let's Go!'
) ( penguins anyone ? )
LSB I agree is the answer and if ALL DISTROS abided by it we'd have it made ( and if more vendors tried to utilise them ).
cheers
nl
Similar Threads
-
By mozkill in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2006, 04:10 AM
-
By toecutter in forum Klik
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-05-2005, 12:52 PM
-
By harryhood in forum Klik
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 11:36 PM
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 01:29 PM
-
By umbra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99