you should start a new thread if you want effective help with other issues that the topic posted (just a suggestion, do as you will)

i run 4.0.2 from cd, but its the same for hd install

to start the apache web server, i run (as root)

/etc/init.d/apache start

you can then open http://localhost in your browser

not sure about your network card hang up. try configuring using ifconfig and route from the command line. tough if you claim to be a newbie, but a worthwhile learning exercise and will most likely be a workaround to netcardconfig (IMHO).

to automate things, i create a script that does ALL my manual tasks (stopping and starting services, creating symlinks, etc). I keep that on a hd partition or thumbdrive and run it when I start. i have heard you can edit the knoppix .sh startup file, but I prefer to do it this way.

i also have not found knoppix as user friendly as mandrake or fedora. that's why i switched... i didn't want a friend, i wanted an embedded operating system

hope this info is helpful.