Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HDD Mounted drive oddity

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11

    HDD Mounted drive oddity

    My laptop has one small partition that I have formatted for Knoppix with a mkfs, partly to store the saved configuration files but also to hold the odd program I need installed. The system mounts it as /mnt/hda5.

    If I open a terminal session and cd to /mnt/hda5 and do a ls there is nothing there. It seems I have to click the desktop icon and wait for the gui to display the drive and *then* I can cd around in the terminal session and see everything.

    ??

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I think the answer is as simple as: Clicking the desktop icon does a mount command for you. If you for some reason don't want to click on the desktop icon, then go to a shell and type man mount and then use the mount command to mout the partition yourself.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11
    I was under the impression that all the hard disk partitions were mounted read only at boot time.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    No, they are not. They mount as r/o when you click on them in the GUI, but the default behavior is not to mount anything on the HD unless you have a swapfile/partition or a Poor Man's Install.

    Quote Originally Posted by DB1
    I was under the impression that all the hard disk partitions were mounted read only at boot time.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11
    Thanks for thet. Altough I would have thought that it would have mounted the drive it got the config info from with a myconfig=scan at boot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Staying on this topic I've noticed a strange behavior on my hdinstall. When I save some files on some partition with kde (just to say a wm) I'm unable to see that file/s with others windowmanagers and vice/versa. I think that maybe it is relate to inodes but I can't figure out what exactly happen

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    could it not be that you save the files to the desktop? that would be diferent directories for different wm's for the most part...

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    What I refer to is 'partition'. I've the installation in hda2. If I save from kde a file in /mnt/hda3 and then make 'ls /mnt/hda3' (after mounting it of course) from fluxbox I see nothing, and the same thing vice/versa saving from fluxbox...etc. Every wm see only the file they've saved. This issue seems to me doesn't happen saving files on the same hda2 partition.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
  2. root access to mounted drive
    By pieboy314 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
  3. Files not being listed on mounted NTFS drive
    By eville84 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 06:34 AM
  4. Getting a flash drive to be mounted as writeable
    By jay_kpx in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 08:34 AM
  5. Unable to read mounted drive
    By squeegy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 12:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore Amiga 1000, Keyboard, Tank Mouse, RAM Expansion, Tested, Working picture

Commodore Amiga 1000, Keyboard, Tank Mouse, RAM Expansion, Tested, Working

$599.00



Commodore Amiga 2000 A2000 – Motherboard Repaired by Amiga of Rochester picture

Commodore Amiga 2000 A2000 – Motherboard Repaired by Amiga of Rochester

$1099.99



Framethrower, Amiga HDMI output via a PiStorm A500 A2000 picture

Framethrower, Amiga HDMI output via a PiStorm A500 A2000

$40.00



Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5” Floppy Drive A500 A1000 A2000 • Untested  picture

Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5” Floppy Drive A500 A1000 A2000 • Untested

$74.99



Commodore Amiga 500 Motherboard rev5 8370 Denise 512k CHIP 1.2 ROM picture

Commodore Amiga 500 Motherboard rev5 8370 Denise 512k CHIP 1.2 ROM

$325.00



Amiga Picasso II RTG Graphics Card for Amiga 2000 3000 And 4000 picture

Amiga Picasso II RTG Graphics Card for Amiga 2000 3000 And 4000

$324.99



Commodore Amiga 1000 Personal Computer With Original Monitor and Speakers picture

Commodore Amiga 1000 Personal Computer With Original Monitor and Speakers

$1352.99



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$185.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



NewTek Video Toaster 4000 Commodore Amiga picture

NewTek Video Toaster 4000 Commodore Amiga

$170.00