Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: how do I connect a external usb hard disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2

    how do I connect a external usb hard disk

    Hi all

    I am trying to connect a 120GB Western Digital external USB hard drive to my Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop which is running Knoppix 3.7 from CD.
    I want to read from and write to this HD which has a FAT32 file system.

    After Knoppix finished booting from cd, there were two HD icons corresponding to the two partitions of my internal HD on my desktop. However, there was no icon for my external HD which I had connected before I switched on the laptop.

    How do I proceed?

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Cheers,
    birk

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    this seems odd, i have used several USB externals and all havew worked, any error messages during boot?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2
    I have not seen any error messages during boot.
    I have got the following lines after I pluged in the external hard disk and used the dmesg command.

    hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.0-1, assigned address 2
    scsi2: SCSI emulation for USB Storage devices
    usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1356
    usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1228

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Birk

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot write to external disk drive
    By zecile in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 01:43 AM
  2. knoppix 5 on an external hard disk
    By davidebond in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 11:28 AM
  3. problem whit external hard disk
    By alex407 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM
  4. Creating persistant disk image on external HDD
    By mark.johnson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 11:07 PM
  5. Booting from USB external hard Disk... any progress ???
    By mikekgr in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$59.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



Netac 1TB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s MAC/PC picture

Netac 1TB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s MAC/PC

$109.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00