-
3com 3c90x NIC
Hi,
We have a bunch of PCs on which we are going to run a LINUX training course. Our training consultant provided a Knoppix 3.9 CD for us to try. This works well and I think its a really clever thing. However I just have one problem:
The PCs all have 3com 3c90x NICs and I could not get these to come up o the network. These cards each have UTP, BNC and AUI connectors and we have to use the AUI in the training room. However, under Knoppix I could not get them to come up on the network.
Knoppix can see the network cards, and I know that these cards work normally. I suspect that the cards are default to a different port under the Knoppix OS, and I need to persuade them to use the AUI port. However, I tried ifconfig eth0 -media AUI, and this didn't work. My Linux/Knoppix knowledge runs out at this point
Can anybody help?
Thanks
Duncan
-
OK, well after a bit of research on the linux driver for this type of card I think a parameter is required at module load time, to force it to use the AUI port. So I think that I'll be doing something like:
insmod 3c59x.0 -options=1
However Knoppix will have already loaded the module so I guess I'll have to unload it with rmmod and then reload it as above.
My only problem is that I'm at one end of the country and the PCs are at the other end so it's abit difficult to try this until I go back a few days before our training course.
Can anyone out there tell me if its possible to reload a kernel module in this way? I've never done anything like this before so I'm kind of making this up as I go along. Alternatively, how can I persuade Knoppix to load the module the way I want it?
thanks
Similar Threads
-
By ShaBro in forum Networking
Replies: 21
Last Post: 08-20-2004, 02:59 AM
-
By Jken in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
-
By raduen in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-25-2004, 09:32 PM
-
By howax in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:51 PM
-
By carmine65 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision 5550 Xeon W-10855M 32GB RAM 512GB SSD Quadro T2000 Win 11 Pro
$329.99

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$319.99

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade
$15.95

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99

HP Z2 G5 Workstation Xeon W-1250 32GB 1TB SSD NVIDIA RTX 4000 Win11 Pro
$560.00