Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to get rid of the ramdisk /dev/shm?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    2

    How to get rid of the ramdisk /dev/shm?

    Hello,

    I am using Knoppix 3.2, running from CD-ROM, on a laptop with 32 MB RAM.
    According to the command df, the ramdisk /dev/shm, mounted on /ramdisk, is
    using 20 MB, leaving only 12 MB for the real work (not entirely true; I also
    have a swap partition). This makes the whole setup terribly slow.
    I notice that this ramdisk is only used marginally for hosting /home and
    /var (through symlinks). What I tried to do to make things faster, is to use
    a small ext2 partition on hard disk. I have copied the contents of
    /ramdisk/home and /ramdisk/var to the hard disk and changed the symlinks
    accordingly. Then I unmounted the ramdisk (using the -f option).
    But this action did not released any additional RAM (checked with the
    command free). What can I do to make full use of the available RAM?

    Thanks for any help
    Luc Soethout

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: How to get rid of the ramdisk /dev/shm?

    --The ramdisk itself is dynamic. It doesn't actually take up all that space unless something is actually written to it.

    --Did you check the cheat codes?

    Quote Originally Posted by glukorizon
    Hello,

    I am using Knoppix 3.2, running from CD-ROM, on a laptop with 32 MB RAM.
    According to the command df, the ramdisk /dev/shm, mounted on /ramdisk, is
    using 20 MB, leaving only 12 MB for the real work (not entirely true; I also
    have a swap partition). This makes the whole setup terribly slow.
    I notice that this ramdisk is only used marginally for hosting /home and
    /var (through symlinks). What I tried to do to make things faster, is to use
    a small ext2 partition on hard disk. I have copied the contents of
    /ramdisk/home and /ramdisk/var to the hard disk and changed the symlinks
    accordingly. Then I unmounted the ramdisk (using the -f option).
    But this action did not released any additional RAM (checked with the
    command free). What can I do to make full use of the available RAM?

    Thanks for any help
    Luc Soethout

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    2

    Re: How to get rid of the ramdisk /dev/shm?

    Thanks Dave,

    You are probably right. I copied a large file to /ramdisk, and indeed, the used space on the swap partition increased by that amount. And vice versa.
    Apparently, normal system operation already uses all the available 'real' RAM memory (approximately 29 MB of the available 30 MB).

    What do you mean by your comment regarding the cheats? I don't see any code to bypass the ramdisk.

    Regards
    Luc Soethout

Similar Threads

  1. ramdisk
    By sampo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 12:23 AM
  2. /ramdisk
    By joshuabok in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 05:55 PM
  3. How to copy k3b to ramdisk?
    By Knoppixerin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
  4. Installing with apt-get on ramdisk
    By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 05:26 AM
  5. Ramdisk failure
    By Nedly in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 02:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i picture

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i

$699.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



DELL POWEREDGE FC640 Server FHH8V W/×2 Intel Xeon Gold 6142,0KHKN5. *READ⬇* picture

DELL POWEREDGE FC640 Server FHH8V W/×2 Intel Xeon Gold 6142,0KHKN5. *READ⬇*

$130.00



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40



Nutanix Supermicro NXS2U2NL12G600  2x Node with Motherboards, Backplanes, & More picture

Nutanix Supermicro NXS2U2NL12G600 2x Node with Motherboards, Backplanes, & More

$450.00