-
Rescue MSDOS broken floppy disk?
My friend saved her 4000 word essay to a floppy disk, MSDOS.
When she went to open it Win told her disk was not formatted,
"would she like to format it now", she coose yes!
Does anyone have any suggestions if Knoppix can rescue the data from the disk? I guess Norton is not the answer if it could not be recognised. Does Knoppix have a suitable disk editor/viewer that would work. Thanks in advance. Jimmy
-
Senior Member
registered user
www.google.com
search for floppy unformat
good luck
-
These freeware programs should be able to help you out.
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL...m#UndeleteTool
-
Thanks
Thanks to you both, I am afraid the floppy was beyond rescue, she had to retype her essay! Live and learn.
Jimmy.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Rescue MSDOS broken floppy disk?

Originally Posted by
iconfly
My friend saved her 4000 word essay to a floppy disk, MSDOS.

When she went to open it Win told her disk was not formatted,
"would she like to format it now", she coose yes!

Does anyone have any suggestions if Knoppix can rescue the data from the disk? I guess Norton is not the answer if it could not be recognised. Does Knoppix have a suitable disk editor/viewer that would work. Thanks in advance. Jimmy
SpinRite might do it. See if somebody owns a copy (some unis do). It's a kind of wierd disk scan program. Some people say the 'detect disk failure before it happens' hypothesis is just nonsense. On the other hand, even if it doesn't detect beforehand, his programs reads the defective sector a lot (1000 times according to the docs) before saying it has recovered all data, so I think it could indeed do wonders. I've never had the change to test it.
Thanks to you both, I am afraid the floppy was beyond rescue, she had to retype her essay! Live and learn.
But indeed, 4000 words aren't that much to retype.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oscar
www.google.com
search for floppy unformat
That should only help when you accidentaly formatted your floppy. Bad sector stuff won't be recovered.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I just wonder why people nowadays still use floppy as 'backup' ? Even a free account on yahoo can give one quite some storage for this kind of backup and may be even safer than CD-R.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
garyng
I just wonder why people nowadays still use floppy as 'backup' ? Even a free account on yahoo can give one quite some storage for this kind of backup and may be even safer than CD-R.
Sometimes you may not store *anything* on the harddisk. So then Yahoo probably isn't handy (nowhere to temporary store the file). Unless there is a way to mount the drive (under Windows), something like "webfolders". But that doesn't always work at all machines, as I've experienced.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sometimes you may not store *anything* on the harddisk. So then Yahoo probably isn't handy (nowhere to temporary store the file).
I can understand situation like this but given that, I would definitely carry a USB CF reader or thumb drive. And if it is not an option(that must be some very old machine running 98 ) and a floppy is a must(evil), first thing first is to read the whole thing out once I have a chance.
I never trust data on a floppy for more than 24 hours.
BTW, how can window control the writing to a temp directory of a machine ?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
garyng
Sometimes you may not store *anything* on the harddisk. So then Yahoo probably isn't handy (nowhere to temporary store the file).
I can understand situation like this but given that, I would definitely carry a USB CF reader or thumb drive. And if it is not an option(that must be some very old machine running 98 ) and a floppy is a must(evil), first thing first is to read the whole thing out once I have a chance.
Ever seen a PC on schools/unis with USB sockets on the front? And what about Solaris machines (Sun Sparcs), got lots of them where I go. But indeed you can use your
BTW, how can window control the writing to a temp directory of a machine ?
Not really, but you can stop general 'open' and 'save as' boxes from accessing the temp (or any) dir, by simply hooking these DLLs and letting it refuse to do something.
Similar Threads
-
By echobeach in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-22-2005, 12:48 PM
-
By brunomfpaula in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:51 PM
-
By adamherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-07-2005, 03:16 AM
-
By Jakykong in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-23-2004, 08:09 PM
-
By Spyder_Snyper in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G
$75.00

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New
$50.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$36.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

Cisco ISR4431/K9 V02 4400 Series Rack Mount L3 1Gbps Router 3 LAN RJ-45
$200.00

Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module
$599.99