www.google.com
search for floppy unformat
good luck
My friend saved her 4000 word essay to a floppy disk, MSDOS.
When she went to open it Win told her disk was not formatted,
"would she like to format it now", she coose yes!Does anyone have any suggestions if Knoppix can rescue the data from the disk? I guess Norton is not the answer if it could not be recognised. Does Knoppix have a suitable disk editor/viewer that would work. Thanks in advance. Jimmy
www.google.com
search for floppy unformat
good luck
These freeware programs should be able to help you out.
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL...m#UndeleteTool
Thanks to you both, I am afraid the floppy was beyond rescue, she had to retype her essay! Live and learn.
Jimmy.![]()
SpinRite might do it. See if somebody owns a copy (some unis do). It's a kind of wierd disk scan program. Some people say the 'detect disk failure before it happens' hypothesis is just nonsense. On the other hand, even if it doesn't detect beforehand, his programs reads the defective sector a lot (1000 times according to the docs) before saying it has recovered all data, so I think it could indeed do wonders. I've never had the change to test it.Originally Posted by iconfly
But indeed, 4000 words aren't that much to retype.Thanks to you both, I am afraid the floppy was beyond rescue, she had to retype her essay! Live and learn.![]()
That should only help when you accidentaly formatted your floppy. Bad sector stuff won't be recovered.Originally Posted by oscar
I just wonder why people nowadays still use floppy as 'backup' ? Even a free account on yahoo can give one quite some storage for this kind of backup and may be even safer than CD-R.
Sometimes you may not store *anything* on the harddisk. So then Yahoo probably isn't handy (nowhere to temporary store the file). Unless there is a way to mount the drive (under Windows), something like "webfolders". But that doesn't always work at all machines, as I've experienced.Originally Posted by garyng
I can understand situation like this but given that, I would definitely carry a USB CF reader or thumb drive. And if it is not an option(that must be some very old machine running 98 ) and a floppy is a must(evil), first thing first is to read the whole thing out once I have a chance.Sometimes you may not store *anything* on the harddisk. So then Yahoo probably isn't handy (nowhere to temporary store the file).
I never trust data on a floppy for more than 24 hours.
BTW, how can window control the writing to a temp directory of a machine ?
Ever seen a PC on schools/unis with USB sockets on the front? And what about Solaris machines (Sun Sparcs), got lots of them where I go. But indeed you can use yourOriginally Posted by garyng
Not really, but you can stop general 'open' and 'save as' boxes from accessing the temp (or any) dir, by simply hooking these DLLs and letting it refuse to do something.BTW, how can window control the writing to a temp directory of a machine ?

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99
Dell PowerEdge T430 8 x 3.5 Hot Plug 2X E5-2680 V3 Twelve Core 2.5Ghz 192GB 3X 2
$949.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00