-
What's it like being a newbie?
I have just installed Knoppix 3.1 as a dual boot on my laptop. While I appreciate that the hard disk howto was probably a voluntary effort, an aspect of Linux that I find appealing, as a newbie I was also irritated once again by what is missing. Everything went fine except for the setting up networking section. I want to wordprocess, access the internet and email. Do I need samba at startup? What is it? What is the default setting?
This is my third go at Linux. The first (Mandrake 7.2 and Running Linux O'Reilly) I gave up because I got fed up searching for answers to simple questions. The second (Mandrake 8.2) ended with Knoppix 3.1 on the DVD of LinuxFormat, the Mandrake manual stating "just load the hotplug module" but no mention of how to do it. Mandrakeonline did not work and there was an updated version but no instructions on how to install it. Loads of complicated webpages.
Knoppix detected most of my hardware and cardmanager and hotplug worked straight away. I know my IP, subnet mask etc but what is ssh? Oh no here come those questions again!
Similar Threads
-
By new2linux in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
-
By Baby_Face in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2004, 02:14 PM
-
By tapique in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-29-2003, 11:12 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By jan.tw in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$259.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99