Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 32 of 32

Thread: What's it like being a newbie?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise
    Just a couple more quickies!:
    1. How do I change which programs appear on the bottom bar (I want to add Mozilla)?
    You can right click on an open part of your taskbar in KDE which will bring up a menu. Alot of things are no different than what you're accustomed to. IMHO kde is MUCH more configurable than wimpdoze ever thought about being although I have never used XP. I plan to keep it that way.

    Look at this:
    Kmenu>Quick Browser
    A very fast way to see what's on your machine and another way to see what the file tree looks like. It's a good habit to open a terminal or three when you boot Linux. You're going to be using them- trust me. Soon you'll discover that many things are easier and faster from the CLI, or Command Line Interface.



    You have multiple desktops- use them to your advantage.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Well, I really feel like I broke through the pain barrier, with a lot of help from some great people on this forum (I think I am still going to need a bit more!). It takes a while to work out as a noob what things you just need to work out the new name and location for (like control panel), and what things are just different (like how drives are handled). Not getting the drive thing, and hunting about for an equivalent to C: was doing my head in until I worked out that it's just different.
    I think I now have my system to the stage where I can use it for nearly everything that I use win2000 for (except my softmodem, which I haven't started working on yet, and one of my cd drives, but that is just going to take a little fiddling).
    It's immensely satisfying to get it working, and I do feel I'm starting to get the hang of it. Thanks to everyone who helped me get this far, I hope I can return the favour to someone else!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. newbie please help
    By new2linux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
  2. NEWBIE NEED HELP
    By Baby_Face in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 02:14 PM
  3. newbie
    By tapique in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 11:12 PM
  4. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  5. Newbie
    By jan.tw in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2003, 11:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99