-
Junior Member
registered user
KH, Knoppix is real simple to use.. Like you I also failed several prior attempts to integrate linux 100% in my computing needs, until I discovered Knoppix. This was all I did to get it running.
1) In dos command prompt, cd e:\knoppix , mkfloppy (sp?) .
2) Reboot
Like in your case, Knoppix detected every single hardware that I use.
Like in your case, my network was not working on 1st boot. My pc had 2 nics, it was used as a adsl router (slackware) to my home network. The second card is not used anymore since I purchased a hardware router. so the make the simple story short, I attempted to configure the network (to my new adsl router) automatically and manually but failed. I concluded that the kernel that knoppix3.2 use were having problems with my particular combinations of nic cards.. 2 minutes later, after removing the redundant nic, EVERYTHING works.
the way you asked about samba and hotplug tells me that you were attempting to install on hardisk. Hardisk installation also works for me but because it is troublesome to delete my tracks after surfing the internet, I prefer to boot from compressed Knoppix option unless I need to install new linux software.
The thing about Knoppix is , now I spend most time doing productive things on my comp instead of hacking,reading faq to just get simple things to work.. my opinion is: a person is great if he is technically capable to solve the nitty gritty issues to get his pc working, he is even greater if he is technically capable but choose not to waste time on things that can be done for him automatically.... just my 2 cents...... Knoppix is IT, other distros has to follow if they know what is best for Linux. Linux enthusiast got to lose the "I can do it, therefore I'm greater than thou" attititude.. imho
Similar Threads
-
By new2linux in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
-
By Baby_Face in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2004, 02:14 PM
-
By tapique in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-29-2003, 11:12 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By jan.tw in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver
$79.89