-
rickenbacherus, thanks for the forums. Your right, when I started I did not know everything about windows but because Microsoft owns the desktop I got taught it at school, courses at the local college etc and anybody with a computer was using the same OS. If Linux wants to compete for the desktop with Microsoft then ease of use has to come close to the top of the list. I think it is only a question of time before it succeeds.
Secondly, I did not download Knoppix so I was unaware of packages.txt. I got it off a DVD with Linux Format so I will check the DVD.
As for USB, why should I have to set it up? I would like to find out about Linux when I am in the mood not when I have to to get something working. As I said earlier, Mandrake 8.2 had it but did not install it, Knoppix had it and installed it, so Linux is moving in the right direction. Just wait........
Printing, yes well a dip switch on an old printer is rather obscure but parallel ports are still fairly common and should work from day one.
With Samba, as I said, I did not make my point clear. I know what Samba is but Knoppix is unusual in that in runs straight off the CD. If a newbie finally decides to have a go at Linux and tries Debian, for example, a string of unexplained questions could put them off especially when they have windows to fall back on unless, of course, you want to keep Linux for those in the know.
While I am not a fan of Microsoft's policies towards dealing with the competition or their prices, when I want something in a shop, I usually have to pay something for it so why should software be any different. The fact that Microsoft are using their position to keep the price of their software high and insist that PC manufacturers bundle Windows is not on. I am also looking at Linux because I don't like it when buying something new means upgrading something else!
OK so yes I should have searched to see if their was a similar topic to this one but I was disappointed to read that this forum is different in that noobs are expected and encouraged. I should hope so if Linux wants to grow. Being called a noob and sent a not entirely positive post is not really the way to encourage people to stick with Linux and become one of the cognoscenti.
Similar Threads
-
By new2linux in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
-
By Baby_Face in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2004, 02:14 PM
-
By tapique in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-29-2003, 11:12 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By jan.tw in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00