Quote Originally Posted by KH
rickenbacherus, thanks for the forums. Your right, when I started I did not know everything about windows but because Microsoft owns the desktop I got taught it at school, courses at the local college etc and anybody with a computer was using the same OS.
Monopolistic ruthless nazi tactics got them there.

If Linux wants to compete for the desktop with Microsoft then ease of use has to come close to the top of the list.
You are absolutely right.

I think it is only a question of time before it succeeds.
I agree completely

Secondly, I did not download Knoppix so I was unaware of packages.txt. I got it off a DVD with Linux Format so I will check the DVD.
I see.

As for USB, why should I have to set it up? I would like to find out about Linux when I am in the mood not when I have to to get something working. As I said earlier, Mandrake 8.2 had it but did not install it, Knoppix had it and installed it, so Linux is moving in the right direction. Just wait........
USB worked immediately for me.

Printing, yes well a dip switch on an old printer is rather obscure but parallel ports are still fairly common and should work from day one.
Slowly printer companies are building not only Linux friendly printers bu t they are also writing drivers for them. It will take a while yes.

With Samba, as I said, I did not make my point clear. I know what Samba is but Knoppix is unusual in that in runs straight off the CD.
Cool isn't it?

If a newbie finally decides to have a go at Linux and tries Debian, for example, a string of unexplained questions could put them off especially when they have windows to fall back on unless, of course, you want to keep Linux for those in the know.
If a newbie tried to install Debian he would forcibly remove all of his/her hair! This is a long running cmplaint about Debian. Now that Knoppix has made an easy to use installer for Debian the pressure is on the developers to incorporate it into their distro.

While I am not a fan of Microsoft's policies towards dealing with the competition or their prices, when I want something in a shop, I usually have to pay something for it so why should software be any different. The fact that Microsoft are using their position to keep the price of their software high and insist that PC manufacturers bundle Windows is not on. I am also looking at Linux because I don't like it when buying something new means upgrading something else!
Would you believe-no kidding- that I just got a virus on this wimpdoze machine I am now typing on?

OK so yes I should have searched to see if their was a similar topic to this one but I was disappointed to read that this forum is different in that noobs are expected and encouraged.
Don't get me wrong- anyone is welcome at any Linux site- it's just that you won't find much about writing BASH scripts and the like here- it is to get people started really. Other Linux forums however are for anyone but that comes at a price for a noob in that if you do search you will find hundreds, nay thousands of posts. Where do you start then?

I should hope so if Linux wants to grow. Being called a noob and sent a not entirely positive post is not really the way to encourage people to stick with Linux and become one of the cognoscenti.
It is just irritating to spend so much time trying to help people out and ofen times it is apparent that they didn't even TRY the search function or they want to know "Where are the cheat codes" and they are on the front page of this site! I also spend a great deal of time answering email about Linux. I don't expect a pat on the back or anything. I just want to help put M$h*t in its place and promote the use of a VASTLY superior OS.

Well KH I can appreciate your position but I will say this: I have spent maybe half the time getting Linux to work compared to the time I spent fixng windows oh and let's not forget rebooting every time you make a change or add software. I NEVER reboot my Linux box unless I want to boot another distro. I have windows machines in my home but I don't use them I just fix them over and over again. They are so easily broken. My linuxbox NEVER crashes- no kidding. Sure applications crash but so what, my desktop still works just fine (when I'm using it that is). If you get into Linux you will find that things are SO mush faster from the command line. I can have a cd started burning by the time you click through the menus to find NERO. I can play DVD's from ANY region in my DVD player (w/ Linux of course). I can type "apt-get install application name" and VOILA! it is done. No error messages- Oh sorry you need this or that as apt-get is smart enough to tell you before hand. I ramble on....pardon me. I really didn't mean to steer you away.

Oh yeah- I just remembered, I do use windows- their 3.1 floppy disks make GREAT bootable floppy distro disks for my Linux router!

Stick with it KH- you won't regret it. And if I piss you off- ah well just ignore me then eh? gluck