Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Clean install on reformatted machine

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    24

    Clean install on reformatted machine

    I want to install Knoppix on a clean machine - I got it second hand with all software wiped. A local company is sponsoring me to build a Flight Simulator cockpit for my local Air Cadets squadron.

    Once I get the first machine up and running with knoppix on the HD, I need to install Microsoft Flight Sim and a load of other software - so I will need lots of help!

    Then I want to network 6 computers together to make a really sophisticated cockpit.

    So I need help on-

    1) Simple HDD install from a blank machine (it already runs Knoppix quite happily form the cd, btw)
    2) Installing software
    3) networking.

    Most of the HDD installation advice seems to deal with dual-boot situations - is there a simpler method of installing when the machine is wiped?

    Cheers,

    fatcharlie.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    24
    Ok I found Irongeek's tutorial and managed to install successfully - but I didn't make a boot disk - I didn't ahve a floppy and I wanted to carry on without going to the shop!

    I am now getting a "Kernel panic- non syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)ยจ message every time i try to boot from HD, and if I try to boot from cd, then after doing all the loading tasks the screen just goes blank!

    Help?

    I love Knoppix - I just want to get it working now.

    Thanks,

    Fatcharlie.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    24
    Right - I have found the fix for the kernel panic and am now trying to find the way to install 3rd party software, like Microsoft Flight Simulator.

    I will search, but if anybody sees this caould they just point me in the right direction?

    Thanks.

    Fatcharlie.

  4. #4
    If i'm right, Microsoft Flight Simulator is only for windows, so you will need either wine or a similar program to be able to install windows apps in knoppix.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    24
    Thanks Welshbluebird - I have been looking into that! I have downloaded Cedega - it remains to be seen if it will work.

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade or a clean install?
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 08:48 PM
  2. After a clean install the CD is no longer accessable
    By rborgia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 09:28 AM
  3. Simple Hard drive Install on clean 15 gig
    By dudeman007 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 05:26 AM
  4. Help MBR had to be reformatted
    By Galvatron36 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 12:22 PM
  5. Clean knoppix install
    By konfused in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 11:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage 6Bay Enclosure G2U picture

Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage 6Bay Enclosure G2U

$129.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$202.46



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00