Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: DIY Knoppix boot server?

  1. #1
    Stonent
    Guest

    DIY Knoppix boot server?

    I thought it would be interesting to have a script or utility that could turn a normal linux system (such as a firewall/nat/dhcp) that most of us have into a knoppix boot server without having to be running knoppix already.

    Perhaps just mount the cd or ISO on that system and normal windows/linux/unix clients get their IP normally, but if one wants a boot image (pxe/etherboot) then have the server send out a kernel. That way someone could set up Linux "terminals" around their house/business that give web access that don't have to have a local drive or a separate knoppix terminal server. I've been doing a lot of playing with knoppix TS but I have to disable my local DHCP server to enable it. If the two could be combined into one system that runs a different linux (in my case RH 7.2) but still distributes Knoppix, it would be really cool.

  2. #2
    stonent
    Guest

    kinda figured it out

    I copied the dhcpd.conf from the Knoppix /etc/ directory to my server and modified the ranges to match like this:

    [root@Router etc]# cat /etc/dhcpd.conf
    # dhcpd.conf for KNOPPIX terminalserver

    # global settings
    ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
    allow booting;
    allow bootp;
    default-lease-time 600;
    max-lease-time 7200;

    subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    next-server 192.168.0.1;
    if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "Etherboot" { filename "
    etherboot.nbi"; }
    else { filename "pxelinux.0"; }
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    range 192.168.0.51 192.168.0.200;
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
    }

    Then I copied the contents of the tftpboot dir to the tftpboot directory on the server. I added the exports from knoppix and rebooted.

    Dhcpd crashed with a bunch of errors. Turns out I was running 2.x on my server and not 3.x like on knoppix. Ok. Went to http://www.isc.org and got the latest tarball.
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    reboot

    BAM! All is well in da' hood.

    Make sure the /cdrom is included in your mounts of course. And make sure to add the ddns-update-style ad-hoc otherwise the latest dhcpd won't start.

  3. #3
    Stonent
    Guest

    one more thing

    in your hosts.allow file, add

    in.ftpd: ALL

  4. #4
    Stonent
    Guest

    oops more..

    I guess I should register so I can edit my posts.. Here are some config files I had to mess with. There were a few other things I had to tweek to make it work right that I neglected to add in the first few posts.

    hosts.allow

    sshd: ALL
    in.tftpd: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    rpc.lockd: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    rquotad: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    rpc.mountd: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    rpc.statd: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    portmap: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    exportfs: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    rpc.nfsd: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

    (Some of these I'm not sure are even valid, I added everything NFS related to be sure)

    /etc/fstab (this is just what I added)

    /home/shared/knoppix.iso /cdrom iso9660 loop=/dev/loop0 0 0


    /etc/exports (had to add this)

    /cdrom (ro,no_root_squash,async,insecure)

Similar Threads

  1. network boot knoppix iso image from a ms windows server
    By adrianmak in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 04:27 AM
  2. nx server still not running off of boot
    By ghostblaze in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. Knoppix Network boot from a samba server?
    By thenexuscode in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:54 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 10:54 PM
  5. X server crash: "Fatal server error: Active ring not fl
    By cmcclean in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper NS-ISG-GB4 : Juniper ISG GB4  4-Port picture

Juniper NS-ISG-GB4 : Juniper ISG GB4 4-Port

$99.29



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99