ad 1.: Yes (but bear in mind, that "move to trash" does not necessarily delete it irreversibly).
ad 2.: Wherever you like (you just need to be able to write to and read from that place).
OK. So I klik a program, magic appears and there it is... operational... on my desktop. Now what?
1. I decide not to keep the program. Aside from moving the CMG to the trash, what else needs to be done?
2. I decide I like it but I prefer a clean desktop. Where should I move the CMG (and any other program)?
ron
ad 1.: Yes (but bear in mind, that "move to trash" does not necessarily delete it irreversibly).
ad 2.: Wherever you like (you just need to be able to write to and read from that place).
I store my cmg files on my hard disc then drag them to desktop when I want to run them. Ones I use more often, I just leave them on the desktop where they are saved in my PH.
drb
Being a relative newbie to Knoppix, I am not yet aware of the intricacies of the system. But, with the wonderful from you guys, I am catching on. Old thoughts and habits are hard to get rid of. I have been working with Windows since version 3.1 came out.
Is there a folder(s) that one should never store a CMG in Knoppix?
Of course there are folders where CMG's must *NOT* be stored.
It's /boot and /proc folders.
But a much better idea is to store CMGs in your home directory at $HOME
/opt could be used if you want to keep it for all users, or a subfolder of $HOME if you want it for yourself only...
(Just make sure there are no spaces in the path)
Greetings,
probono
Just got back to this project.
I logged in to the root, changed the permissions of the OPT folder to Read/Write for all and marked the folder as Shared. I then moved all the menu items from the Applications menu to their respective menus.
As a test, I moved the LBreakout2 CMG from the desktop to the OPT folder. Now, I get a couple errors that the tmp file can not be found.
Here is the menu command line: /home/user/.zAppRun /home/user/Desktop/lbreakout2_2.5.2-2.cmg
What changes need to be made to run this application successfully from the menu? I changed /user/Desktop to /opt but that did not seem to do the trick.
Thanks for your patience. Once I get this figured out, I can start selling some used computers with Kanotix installed and generate some interest for you guys. I also hope to add a transparent reminder note to the desktop to make donations.
Ron
Just got back to this project.
I logged in to the root, changed the permissions of the OPT folder to Read/Write for all and marked the folder as Shared. I then moved all the menu items from the Applications menu to their respective menus.
As a test, I moved the LBreakout2 CMG from the desktop to the OPT folder. Now, I get a couple errors that the tmp file can not be found.
Here is the menu command line: /home/user/.zAppRun /home/user/Desktop/lbreakout2_2.5.2-2.cmg
What changes need to be made to run this application successfully from the menu? I changed /user/Desktop to /opt but that did not seem to do the trick.
Thanks for your patience. Once I get this figured out, I can start selling some used computers with Kanotix installed and generate some interest for you guys. I also hope to add a transparent reminder note to the desktop to make donations.
Ron
The menu is automatically refreshed a couple of minutes after you have run and quit the cmg from its new location.
Greetings,
probono
Well I made it work in Kubuntu:
I moved abiword.cmg to /opt/
and made with the menu editor an extra entry
with the command
/home/freerk/.zAppRun /opt/abiword.cmg
once started and stopped, the menu entry has some more capabilies;
add to panel; put starter on desktop and 2 other entries behind 'whole menu'
Freerk Jongsma

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
New Dell PowerEdge Server R360 Xeon E-2488 3.2G 16GB RAM 4X800GB SSD 6x600GB SAS
$3890.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730xd 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 80GB DDR4 ECC 2U Server No HDD
$499.99
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Dell PowerEdge T140 Xeon E-2224 @ 3.40GHz, 8GB Ram, NO HDD's, NO OS
$399.99