-
Junior Member
registered user
Clean install on reformatted machine
I want to install Knoppix on a clean machine - I got it second hand with all software wiped. A local company is sponsoring me to build a Flight Simulator cockpit for my local Air Cadets squadron.
Once I get the first machine up and running with knoppix on the HD, I need to install Microsoft Flight Sim and a load of other software - so I will need lots of help!
Then I want to network 6 computers together to make a really sophisticated cockpit.
So I need help on-
1) Simple HDD install from a blank machine (it already runs Knoppix quite happily form the cd, btw)
2) Installing software
3) networking.
Most of the HDD installation advice seems to deal with dual-boot situations - is there a simpler method of installing when the machine is wiped?
Cheers,
fatcharlie.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok I found Irongeek's tutorial and managed to install successfully - but I didn't make a boot disk - I didn't ahve a floppy and I wanted to carry on without going to the shop!
I am now getting a "Kernel panic- non syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)¨ message every time i try to boot from HD, and if I try to boot from cd, then after doing all the loading tasks the screen just goes blank!
Help?
I love Knoppix - I just want to get it working now.
Thanks,
Fatcharlie.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Right - I have found the fix for the kernel panic and am now trying to find the way to install 3rd party software, like Microsoft Flight Simulator.
I will search, but if anybody sees this caould they just point me in the right direction?
Thanks.
Fatcharlie.
-
If i'm right, Microsoft Flight Simulator is only for windows, so you will need either wine or a similar program to be able to install windows apps in knoppix.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks Welshbluebird - I have been looking into that! I have downloaded Cedega - it remains to be seen if it will work.
Similar Threads
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-19-2005, 08:48 PM
-
By rborgia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-29-2005, 09:28 AM
-
By dudeman007 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 05:26 AM
-
By Galvatron36 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-26-2004, 12:22 PM
-
By konfused in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$288.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition
$435.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00