I am successfully using Knoppix 3.9 on laptop hard drives to display Photographs. The photos are loaded into a different partition on the hard drive, and Knoppix loads the image viewer (fbi) at boot and displays the images.
Changing photos requires unmounting and remounting the drive rw, uploading photos from a USB drive of some kind, and then reboting. The setup above works great for me, but I want people to be able to use this setup as an appliance. Specifically I'd like them to be able to put their photos on a CD and just pop them into the CD drive and power on the machine.
This is where the problem lies. The laptop (a Dell CPi in this case) recognizes the hard disk as a CD drive due to booting with ISOLINUX. When I connect an external CD drive the system sees it as a "floppy/CD drive", and does not recognize the CD in the drive. My guess is that the laptop thinks the CD drive is a floppy since it "already" has a CD (actually the hard drive).
Has anyone got a solution where I can read CDs from the CD drive while running KNOPPIX from the HD?

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Seagate Constellation ES.3 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | ST2000NM0033
$40.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)
$69.95
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99