-
Grub problems after Knoppix 4.0.2 HD install
Hello all, after looking at version 4.0.2 a few times in the live mode, I decided to install it to my HD. Here's what I did and the problems I'm having.
-- created a linux partition using Partition Magic (I'm dual booting with Winblows XP)
-- booted to Knoppix 4.0.2 and typed at a terminal, "sudo knoppix-installer"
-- knoppix found the created partition and allowed me to install to it
-- after about an hour, knoppix said everything went fine and to reboot
-- after reboot, message comes to screen: "Kernal panic-not syncing:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (3,17)"
I'm somewhat a noob to Linux, but love it just the same. I think I need to restore Grub but am not really sure how. I'm at a total lose as to why there is a kernal panic. Thanks for any help.
-
Problem solved!
Hello all again, after making my first and only post at this site, while I was waiting for some helpful answers, I continued to search for the solution. And thanks to some other people who have had similar problems, I was able to come up with an answer! All this was done by reading posts, since mine wasn't answered. So here it is:
1. Boot up with Knoppix liveCD
2. At a terminal screen type: su -
3. Then type: sudo mount -o dev,rw /mnt/hda2 or whatever HD and partition you are using.
3. Type su
4. Type passwd
5. Choose a new password
6. Click on the "K" button
7. Choose "System"
8. "More Applications"
9. "File Manager Super User Mode"
10. Use your new password
11. Open the file, menu.lst (/boot/grub/menu.lst)
12. Edit the line that reads: "kernel /boot/vmlinuz root= /dev/hda2 ro ### isk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce" Change the "###" to form the word "ramdisk". (your "hda2" may be different, mine was hda17)
13. Save the file
14. Reboot
This did the trick on my machine. Being a noob to Linux I would have never figured this out on my own. Although I spent several hours over several days on this, it was worth it because of what I learned.
-
Thanks for posting the summary of the solution - too many people leave topics hanging without an explanation of how a problem was solved. Useful for future searches!
Regds, RM.
-
hi, im currently having the same problem after installing knoppix 4.0.2, i try to follow your instruction on getting it to work, only problem is when i get to step 11. there is no file called menu.lst, and also there is no sub-folder called grub under the /boot directory. please help.
-
nvm i found it,
silly me, i didnt know i had to cd to the /mnt/hda2 to find the /boot/grub/menu.lst
-
i have gotten that far as well
but
when it boots i get a brub prompt
i have no idea what to do next
very new to this
lp
Similar Threads
-
By Sprok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-10-2007, 01:31 AM
-
By Prototype2121 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
-
By gunnerjoe in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-21-2006, 05:46 PM
-
By cykick in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-03-2004, 06:20 PM
-
By mike22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50