OK. Given that you have already determined that there is a problem installing Knoppix, at least give this a try.Originally Posted by ecop77
I have been running knoppix from cd on an old Compaq laptop without any trouble. However, when I try to install to HDD, I've encountered two different situations that have stopped the install process. In the first scenario, I follow the diecrtions, and the system hangs whiel formatting hda1. In the second scenario, the system didn't hang in formatting, started to copy files, and then it hung. System info: COmpaq 1230, 100MB RAM, 4GB HD
Any help would be appreciated.
OK. Given that you have already determined that there is a problem installing Knoppix, at least give this a try.Originally Posted by ecop77
debian is a bit hard for someone new to linux... however ubuntu is derived from debian distro, and is kinda like knoppix in that case...
but how ever, its up to you in the end to try the distro you want...
The reason I want to use knoppix is that it already recognizes my Microsoft (Yeah, I know!!!) wireless network card. Everything I read about configuring the damned thing makes me want to use an OS that already sees it. Any suggestions on what's hanging up the install, and how to get around it?

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99
OEM TVKGH 88Wh Laptop Battery For Dell Latitude 9510 2-in-1 Latitude 9510 9520
$29.43
New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95
New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5
$44.95
OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49
OEM Genuine 63WH RJ40G Battery For Dell Latitude 5420 5520 Precision 3560 M033W
$31.69
OEM Genuine 42WH WDX0R WDXOR Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$29.79
OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78
OEM Genuine Dell Latitude 5420 5424 7424 Rugged 11.4V 51Wh Battery 06JRCP 7WNW1
$95.67
NEW OEM V6W33 Battery WV3K8 Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3320 3330 3515
$47.95