OK. Given that you have already determined that there is a problem installing Knoppix, at least give this a try.Originally Posted by ecop77
I have been running knoppix from cd on an old Compaq laptop without any trouble. However, when I try to install to HDD, I've encountered two different situations that have stopped the install process. In the first scenario, I follow the diecrtions, and the system hangs whiel formatting hda1. In the second scenario, the system didn't hang in formatting, started to copy files, and then it hung. System info: COmpaq 1230, 100MB RAM, 4GB HD
Any help would be appreciated.
OK. Given that you have already determined that there is a problem installing Knoppix, at least give this a try.Originally Posted by ecop77
debian is a bit hard for someone new to linux... however ubuntu is derived from debian distro, and is kinda like knoppix in that case...
but how ever, its up to you in the end to try the distro you want...
The reason I want to use knoppix is that it already recognizes my Microsoft (Yeah, I know!!!) wireless network card. Everything I read about configuring the damned thing makes me want to use an OS that already sees it. Any suggestions on what's hanging up the install, and how to get around it?

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99
COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4
$169.95
Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99
Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151
$39.99
Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU
$39.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99
Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99
PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99
Intel Core Ultra 5 250K Plus Desktop Processor - 18 cores (6P+12E) LGA 1851
$189.99