Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Very Very Quick Debian Download Question!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50

    Very Very Quick Debian Download Question!

    Say I'm going to download Debian from here http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/ftp.f...0a/i386/bt-cd/

    Which file do I need? binary-1? binary-2? etc... are they all the same secretly? Or are they different? Which one do I need?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I'm not going to follow the link that you gave and I strongly suggest using BitTorrent instead of a mirror, but the answer to the question is that there should be about 14 CD's in a full set. These include lots of extra software and in general, as long as you will have an Internet connection later, you'll want CD 1 and to install from that. If you do want any of the packages on later CDs you can download just what you need over the Internet with the Debian package system. On the other hand, if you are about to move away from having Internet access, the more CDs you get the more packages you will have access to. It is said that the packages on the CDs are sorted in order of how many people actually install them, and that even if you didn't have Internet access just the first few CDs would suit most users. My advice would be to start with just the first CD and only get others if you find a reason that you need them.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50
    That link is to the offical university network mirror in the UK, thats a link to the Bittorrent torrent hosted on their servers. As I'm at uni, I can VPN to them to get pretty fast downloads.

    Anyway, ok, so just the first one will be ok for now. Do you know where I can find out what is on each CD?

    In reference to my hard drive purchasing idea in the newbie forum, I understand that installing Debian lets you partion your drive. I am using an NTFS partition, but have around 25gb free. Will Debian corrupt my existing files if I let it partition my drive? I have no way to back up my files at the moment, hence the idea of buying a new drive.

    If I don't buy a new drive, will Debian manage to re partion my drive without messing up my Xp install and files, or should I just bite the bullet and spend some money?

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    For your first post about Debian CDs http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=86789#86789

    If you intend to not purchase the additional HD, then you can repartition the existing HD and resize the NTFS partition. As with all things partition releated, there is ALWAYS A RISK of losing your files. Backup your important files to CDRs or if possible DVDs before the repartition/resize.

Similar Threads

  1. just a quick question
    By benjamin1254 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 03:42 AM
  2. Quick question
    By Quite in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 11:27 PM
  3. PLEASE HELP - Quick Question
    By mikey_man380 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
  4. Grub settings, quick question... really my last question :p
    By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM
  5. Quick question
    By unimportantguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$17.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro picture

Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro

$179.99



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718 picture

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718

$22.00



Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D picture

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D

$339.99



Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter picture

Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter

$34.99